Can i transfer shares from my demat account to my relative's demat account?

Can i transfer shares from my demat account to my relatives account? Actually he had given me money for investing so instead of selling shares and giving him money. is it possible to give him shares? Is it possible?
@ShubhS9

Yes, it is possible to give him shares, for this you will have to do off-market transfer to his Demat account.

You can do off-market transfer using DIS method, explained here, also read this to know how to fill DIS slip.

Or you can do off-market transfer using CDSL Easiest, can read this to learn more.

1 Like

Thanks. How many days it takes for complete transfer process? I will need to order DIS booklet too.
Also, is there any benefit of transferring shares rather than selling and giving him money? I am holding shares for more than 5 years.

No idea about exact time. Also, instead of DIS method, you can also do online off-market transfer using CDSL Easiest, the process has been explained here. Which will also be quicker than DIS method.

The decision is upto you.

The transfer of shares from one Demat account to another can be done in two ways – Manual and Online. In manual transfer of shares, the transfer may be Intra-Depository Transfer or an Off-Market Transfer. Note that the shares need to be transferred along with their ISIN number.

Hey this CDSL easiest process is cool. Any idea if any such process is available for NSDL?
I want to bring shares from my NSDL account in to Zerodha account.
Thanks.

Yes, there is NSDL Speed-e, you can learn more about the service here.

2 Likes

thanks a lot

Before transferring of shares I think you should go through the CDSL web site for the exact procedure and guidelines.

Absolutely. Shares from one demat account can be transferred to another account. The shares can either be transferred between accounts held by the same individual with two DPs, or it could be an off-market transfer. Off-market transfer means the transfer of shares from one person’s demat account to another’s.
Read how to transfer your shares from particular demat account to Axis Bank Demat Account.