Changes in margin requirements from 1st Sep, 2020

(1) i had short sell (NRML) OTM nifty options . Not squared off .
my margin is still blocked on today EOD basis . today is expiry .

will i be able to use my today’s blocked margin tomorrow ?

(note : previously , before this new rule ; i was able to use the margin , the next day .
BUT , now , after this new rule ; will i able to use it the same way , as i was able to;, previously ? )

(2)

i have heard that : sebi is coming with the rule that will not gonna allow margin funding ! is it right ?

Please answer

Hey @nithin @siva

NSE has put out a circular saying that the new framework has been postponed till Sept 15.

This is for both Pledge and the trading margins, am i correct?

@nithin @siva with these new margin rules, if we convert CNC position after a day or two to MIS, will we still get margin benefits or not? I just found out that other broker i.e. Upstox isn’t allowing conversion of product/order type at all! we’ve to exit the Carryforward/NRML order and enter again in MIS/INtraday order type. Can you shed some light and clarify this please?

It isn’t postponed, margin penalties are waived off till Sep 15th.

For now we will continue to allow you position conversion.

1 Like

and will still get margin benefits as per current leverage that you provide right?

when actually this conversion will not be allowed then?

@nithin

Hi Nithin/ team zerodha,

Not sure if I m writing my query to correct place or not…just giving a try…

Question as a layman’s term do I need to pledge / unpledge or keep margin in my funds to do trading intraday delivery or btst after this new rule by sebi as we didn’t have to be bothered alll of these till now it seems.
Your reply would be highly appreciated.
Thnk u.

New leverages will come from dec 1st,once peak margin reporting starts.

If you are a fno trader then it would be recommended to pledge and get collateral to trade instead deploying more cash, margin for fno should be in the ratio of 50% cash and 50% collateral. If you are a equity trader then this you can ignore about pledging.

@nithin @siva can you Explain me Difference Between Leverage and Margin Funding And How margin Funding can be Helpful for retail Trader After SEBI 100%Upfront rules after 1st SEP 2021
Do Reply

so from 1st Dec, conversion of NRML/MIS and vice versa won’t be possible due to peak margin reporting system. till then we can convert and free up margin right?

Conversion will be possible provided you have enough margin.

didn’t get you, margin would’ve been already there as we wish to convert from NRML to MIS to free up some margin to enter other positions, so which enough margin you’re referring to? i’m confused.

Which means the broker can fund for clients to trade in FNO?

Not F&O. Margin funding is allowing customers to buy stocks with leverage for delivery.

@ShubhS9 are margin penalty rate same or they have some changes in that .

Penalty for margin shortfall, right? No changes, the rates are same.

1 Like

Hi Nithin,
I have a question on BTST. If i do a BTST on futures, still 40% of margin will be blocked on T1 day? or is this 40% rule applicable only for stocks?

@nithin @siva - I have been trying to pledge my SBIN shares for 3 times and it’s getting cancelled out somehow by your system. After following the steps mentioned in here https://support.zerodha.com/category/console/portfolio/articles/new-pledge - I get the CDSL verification email but on clicking the verification email and providing the PAN card, CDSL system throws out an error “Margin pledge setup is not present for input PAN no.”

I have already tried reaching out to support but they are closing out the support case by simply sharing the link for “how to pledge your shares”. Are you seeing any problems with pledges getting cancelled out?