COIN Cut-off time vs Groww App Cut off time

If market falls like the one on budget day, it is easy for people to invest lumsum on the same day before 2:30. Actually i missed it last week due to cu-off at 1:30. I just realised it what was my mistake. ordered at 3 on that Monday.
IS there any real technical or timeline problem for zerodha to change it from 1:30 to 2:30 or 3 PM. just would like to know.

1 Like

Like I’ve said earlier, if you are investing for long-term this makes very little difference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please change the timing to 3pm. For a small section of zerodha users sending orders @3pm would be a huge benefit. Not everyone invests with long term investment in mind. Also could you please share what are the advantages of sending in orders at 1:30? Does the exchange reject orders sent at 3pm?
Thanks.
@siva

2 Likes

Many are not like long-term focus. Take a look at any index fund nav between 3-feb and 4-feb. it is approximately 2%. just looking for an option to gives us extra time to wait till market close.

Psychological help that’s all.

@RahulKhanna @Bhuvan @sabyasachi_sadhu @trader_dude allow to add to this thread:-

@hawkgaze is simply asking that when the Mutual Fund investment rule book and the industry standard is cut-off 3PM, then why is Zerodha forcing investors to place the order by 1:30 PM. More than whether it is benefiting or is insignificant to the investor, “why is it so” is the question - if there is any technical difficulty faced by the coders to implement it (accept, acknowledge and admit it then) or if there is a lack of intent from the Zerodha management (why is it so is the next question in that case), all these are a different discussion altogether.

He is simply asking for equality in terms of the cut-off time when compared to the other MF investment websites and apps. Let me articulate this in simple words - consider a T20 cricket match, but if you are playing at Chinnaswami stadium, an over would be of 5 balls only. That’s it! Nothing less, nothing more. I hope you understand the point.

Earlier, I have also mentioned the same and many drawbacks of Coin (feature comparison with the other MF platforms) in this post:-

CC @nithin

3 Likes

The exchange (BSE STARMF) has 2 cut-off timings. One is at 2:30 and the other is at 3 pm. For equity orders above 2Lakhs, the cut-off time is 2:30 and if the amount is Rs 2Lakhs the cut-off is 3 pm. We have kept a buffer period of 1 hour to fix issues and ensure that orders are processed on the same day. We’ve faced issues on the exchange platform because of which we could not upload some orders on time before the cut-off Hence, we decided to keep the cut-off at 1:30 pm for all orders. Since almost 80-90% of all orders on average are SIPs we want to ensure there are no hiccups right before the cut-off

Ok, I didn’t understand the analogy t20 =investing?!. Like I said earlier, if you are investing for the long term, it makes 0 difference. There’s a mountain of research and studies out there to prove this. If you still want to “time” the markets, you can use the conditional orders feature on Coin.

Having said that, we’ll look into the possibilities.

2 Likes

Pretty much all of the market returns are from overnight moves. I’d suggest you check this

1 Like

dear @Bhuvan, if it is technical issue, then it needs to be resolved through tech only. Not at the cost of investors compromising on time window to invest.

Let me help you understand with another example. Say, in your office there is a canteen where lunch is served till 3 PM. But for you lunch time is only till 1:30 PM. You can’t place an order for lunch after 1:30 PM while your colleagues can order till 3 PM. Does this make sense?

This is a better answer.
If I were the Product head of Coin, I would brief the development team that we have to make an equal level field for MF investors as per the industry standards. We can’t compromise on technology resulting in order failures which put Zerodha’s reputation and investor’s trust on stake. At the same time, we can’t make an investor compromise on order placing cut-off time and lacking basic features like STP, SWP etc. I would have said we have to solve this not because I am saying this to do so. But citing the above example of lunchtime, they would get the message and I’m sure the development team would surprise us.

Not only cut-off time but an equal level field overall in terms of STP, SWP, etc features which are lacking in Coin for long and it is testing a Zerodha user’s patience. I remember earlier @nithin had mentioned that only 4 people team is working on Coin. That’s a great feat individually that the fantastic fours have delivered so much. But as a company, is that enough? People don’t care whether it is being made by 4 people and so we have to live with the limitations, that too when they are paying their AMC on time, they would expect the service to be delivered as per industry standards.

I have said enough, time and again, so I would rest my case.

4 Likes

I agree with @rupeshmandal.

Technical limitations/issues SHOULD NOT drive the requirements of the customers/clients.

I have seen many products to this.

While I understand your limitations around technical hiccups, your above argument appears to be escapist. There is equivalent tonne of research that says most investors (super large SWFs to tiny retail) would be better off investing in ETFs instead of a jamboree of investment alternatives currently used. Despite this, there is a healthy and active market for direct investments, advisor / manager fraternity because we all believe we are better than everyone else.

As regards cut off times, all what has been asked for is parity with others. If one were to extend your argument, it should not make a difference to an investor if the cut off time is 9.30 am the day before or 2 days before - except in this case you would have seriously disgruntled customers.

To each his own and if an investor expects a certain cut off time for reasons best known to him, then its a fair ask.

1 Like

No issues! Those who have the ability to understand, and can act on it have got the message; loud and clear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It needs to be this level so that bhuvanesh can understand the issue.

@sabyasachi_sadhu brother, do you even understand the meaning of EQUALITY?

I gave this simple example of lunch time to make Zerodha team understand how does discrimination feel if others can order lunch till 3PM but you can only order till 1:30 PM. Can we please stick the discussion on this ground only without giving any excuse or digressing from the topic.

Talking about Equality, when SEBI guidelines say MF orders can be placed till 3 PM why is Zerodha restricting the investors to place an order by 1:30 PM latest. This is an inequality and discrimination. And it’s my right to ask the question to Zerodha.

@nithin please intervene and respond officially.

1 Like

@sabyasachi_sadhu Thank you for understanding and agreeing with me on the “Equality” in terms of the cut-off timing as per SEBI guidelines. I also want Zerodha to grow. But Zerodha can’t decide for the customers and set a different cut-off time at 1:30 PM when SEBI says 3 PM cut-off time for placing an order. That too when all other MF platforms are complying with it. This is all my submission.

Now, awaiting a response from @nithin

Like Bhuvan has mentioned, there are technical limitations that we have in offering direct mutual funds in the way we do - direct mutual funds in demat form using the money in the trading account. And this has got nothing to do with how many people work on our team, throwing more people doesn’t mean that you can solve problems.

That said, SEBI has asked platforms like us to switch to using money from bank and not directly from trading when purchasing MF. So in the next few months we will have to switch slightly the way Coin works. It makes it slightly tough for our team to support, but it will solve for all the issues that you have pointed.

2 Likes

That means the money will be directly credited to our bank account after mutual fund redemption?

Yes.

1 Like

@nithin Will it be only applicable for MF purchase or Equity delivery orders too? If I am not wrong, we are already waiting for IDFC 3-in-1 account to kick in where we don’t have to transfer funds to Trading account first before placing an order. It would seamlessly utilise funds automatically from the IDFC savings account (Like how HDFC Securities, ICICI Direct work). It was the sole reason I opened an IDFC account and made it my primary bank on Zerodha.

Also, I too want to switch my MF portfolio to Coin. So that all my investments are in one place. It would help me keep a track of capital gains, plan tax harvesting, rebalance and set-offs in a better way. But the reasons I had mentioned earlier are stopping me to do so.

I hope the Coin changes is for good.

Ah, you still don’t use Coin :slight_smile:

yeah, the plan is to get to an ICICI direct kind of integration.

2 Likes