Crazy amount of crypto holder in India! 😲

Hello, I got across this post on the internet.

I hope all of you are aware that crypto platform Wazirx just crossed Zerodha! (in terms of active clients). I still can’t believe how that happened. Then I saw another post (look at the pic below).

There are more than 10 crore crypto holders (in India) and we are no:1

In terms of population, India stands at 5th place with a whooping 7.3% of Indians investing in crypto.

7.3% of Indians are in the crypto world, this is higher that the stock market itself. Only 4.3% of Indians invest in the stock markets. The later has just doubled this in no time.

Stock markets are here for centuries where as crypto is something new and it’s kind of alegal (neither legal nor illegal). It has no proper clarification… It’s totally decentralized so there is no regulations. 3rd parties can misuse clients, even in such an event, no one can go fight for it. If a broker/exchange goes on the wrong side, you loose everything. Unless you have your cryptos in cold storage. But still think of all the cash balance you have etc. It’s a grey area with no proper guidelines and prone to unpredictable events.

Also cryptos are highly volatile.

My question is, why did Indians choose crypto over stock market. Stock market has been here for centuries and it’s also well guided & it’s set in a proper way etc. So, basically it’s not a new thing here, unpredictable events can be prevented upto a certain extent. USA is in 4th place (in terms of population) but over 50% of them invest in stock markets.

What happened in India ? Why did people choose crypto universe over stock markets ? What exactly happened here ?

I request all of you to share your opinions on this topic.

3 Likes

crazy returns + crazy hype

1 Like

I’m one of them

2 Likes

Black money has a outlet😂

2 Likes

I don’t think that the 10 crore number, of people holding crypto in India, is right. It seems like a propaganda of sorts to create a sense of how large Crypto has become given that some regulations around it are expected by the Government. If it seems quite large, the Govt can’t really take much tougher actions.

Considering the kind of advertising money that is going into Crypto, potentially there could be 10 crore Indians who have downloaded the app. But can’t see how almost 10% of India has made an investment into it.

15 Likes

The old Rs.500/- note would like to have a word.

I don’t think the propaganda of “more than 10 crore crypto holders” is going to have any effect on the government’s decision to clamp down on it. It may fool others into joining in based on a false sense of security in numbers, though.

1 Like

My personal view is that this is more of a propaganda and to create a feeling of FOMO so more will join.

I would have agreed if the number was equal to or less than the number of investors in stock market, but having a number greater than stock market investors is something I cant believe especially in crypto. I do understand that we have many who will jump into things just because of a promise to earn higher returns, but getting into crypto require a little more knowledge and understanding (I think).

The general perception of Indians is to save and prefer real estate and fixed deposit. Corona pandemic and low interest rate on FD was one of the results for massive increase in numbers of stock market investors. With this psyche, I strongly believe these numbers of 7.3% of Indians in Crypto as against 4.3% in stock market is propoganda

My personal views could be wrong.

2 Likes

Honestly they can get these crazy returns in stock market itself especially in derivatives like options.

Oh. All the best! When did you enter the crypto world ? @Lalit_Kishor

:rofl: this can be true as well, I believe that many rich guys and big institutions are manipulating cryptos, the way it moves is ridiculous. Around may and sep all cryptos crashed as if it was all pre planned. It’s all over within seconds, at the same time innocent traders who have positions automatically get liquidated and also will get a margin call. I heard that cryptos also have derivatives. This liquidation also further narrows down the fall. The trigger is some one or something manipulative. There was also a big discussion on the internet where a billionaire was mentioned for manipulation.(only on the internet)

This might be true, it makes the people who have not tried crypto feel like “oh! 10 crore indians are investing there, so it might be safe and I can try too”

This is also possible @nithin but lets think the other way, who ever has the idea of this propaganda or whoever has this intention. 7.3% and 10 crore is hard to believe. At the same time, do you think the one who has these intention publish ridiculous data ? Like, they will be smarter, there is something else behind this that we are not yet aware. Like imagine, Why will someone post ridiculous numbers when no one is ready to believe it ? This is even higher than stock market itself. Why would someone do this when they know that this is un-believable data ? There is something else inside. What can they achieve by this data when all of us don’t believe the info ? Whoever has this intention, is not dumb. (just my view) What do you think about this ?

This is 100% true.

Do not compare rupee with crypto @ZeroIndian Even when 500 rupees is gone, we do have have other notes. Also it is an internal problem. But crypto is decentralized. When it gets bigger and bigger it is like “Too big to fall”. So, don’t compare rupee with crypto.

This does make sense, but at the same time, whoever is behind this is not dumb to post some data that Indians won’t believe. There is no impact when we don’t believe it.
(read the whole post) and I’m not telling that I believe this data, I’m just thinking other way. (Apologies for a long reply)

Do share your views/opinions.

2 Likes

@nithin one thing I fail to understand if crypto are alternative to traditional currency why is it treated like an asset class with comparison to equity or gold?

1 Like

After reading this, 7.3% could be possible…

1 Like

I take crypto as spectlation, allocate 10% of capital for short term trades, I entered crypto due to FOMO in 2018

1 Like

that’s cool @Lalit_Kishor Just curious to ask these questions to you, Do you trust your broker / exchange ? ,
As there are no proper regulations, do you have cold storage for your cryptos ? and finally which application/broker do you use ?

The reason is that, atleast for Bitcoin, there is a hard upper limit to the number of bitcoins that can be created. After that no more coins can be created.

So people think that since it will be scarce, it’s value will only go up. Same logic was used by DeBeers when they bought up the entire diamond supply, to artificially make diamonds dearer. Restricted supply = inflated value.

Also, since no government can dilute the value of bitcoin, it’s value will go up against currencies. Somewhere on this site only I read that 100 years ago, 1 rupee was equivalent to 13 dollars, now 75 rupees are equivalent to 1 dollar. Therefore people think bitcoin is a hedge against currency depreciation.

Also, bitcoin has become pretty expensive to use as a normal currency (txn costs, time taken, fluctuations in value, etc), so people use it as a “buy and hold”, rather than transact with it.

My 2 cents…

1 Like

Good point here about cold storage.

Anyone thinking of getting into crypto, please store your coins in an offline Cold storage, never on a broker or exchange account.

This article lists out all the hacks that have taken place on these exchanges and how much money was robbed from people’s accounts.

1 Like

According to this article, there are 70MM registered investors in India. They state incremental percentage for crypto, but no hard total numbers…

If Bitcoin is used as buy and hold rather than being a replacement to currency then it’s entire purpose for which it is created in first place is lost

1 Like

True. But the entire crypto space is evolving and trying to find it’s place in the financial world as a legitimate player… we don’t know where it will actually land…

Also, they have forked Bitcoin into Bitcoin Cash, etc precicely to increase throughput and reduce transaction costs. I’m sure others coins may have better transaction costs, etc…

But as things stand right now, Bitcoin enthusiasts are trying to position it as a “store of value” because, as a currency alternative, it’s a direct threat to all the reserve banks of the world, and may lead to bans worldwide…

The game continues…

One thing which I fail to understand is that what is the advantage of using Bitcoin as alternative to currency issued by reserve banks ,what I want to buy online i can transact by debit card or other digital method so why I will use a highly fluctuating Bitcoin.

as I earlier said it’s speculation (at least what i think), broker i use wazirx & Binance, i don’t care what my broker does as long i get to make good bucks.

1 Like

My understanding w.r.t Crypto’s is this - They are here to stay, but not exactly in the form and function currently they are. It’s like 80’s Internet, nobody exactly knows why it exists but want a slice of it anyway. ‘Shitcoins’ or Crypto’s which serve no real world purpose other than ‘storage of value’ (Doge, Shiba Inu etc.,.) will be the first to burst. Bitcoin also comes under this definition, but may take longer or could scrap through and go the gold’s way due to its popularity (Search = Google, Photocopy = Xerox, Blockchain = Bitcoin) you get the drift. Read about Theta Network and its business. It is one such rare example of Blockchain having a real world purpose, where it acts as a decentralized server for streaming videos thereby the downtime is virtually zero. There are many such genuine projects which are very interesting, you got to know where to look. This is the budding of web3, its too big to comprehend. Blockchains are a medium of transaction not the asset itself, then you may ask what is the values & graphs we see in each coin everyday, well it is the way people getting paid for renting their resources, hence the volatility. In web3 it will be impossible to get stuff done and not get paid for it as one is the effect and another is the cause. No free lunches nor a freak employer who doesn’t pay. Future will see Blockchain businesses listing on exchanges. Blockchains are not a competition for Stocks, both can and will co-exist.

4 Likes