Dematerialization of my parent's Shares

My Parents have some shares(400:200) in physical form( online trading was not possible in old times) so how can i transfer that in my name(demat account). Is Dematerialization of these shares only possible in my parents demat account. Plz Suggest and tell how will you help in this matter.

1 Like

Yes, it is easier to get it dematerialized in your parent’s demat account rather than yours. Once the shares are in demat form, they can always be transferred using a delivery instruction slip to your account.

The reason it is tougher to directly dematerialize in your name is because then you will need to submit a “Will” or “death certificate” in case they are not alive. This consumes more time and requires unnecessary documentation.

Open a demat in your parent’s name, dematerialize the shares, transfer the shares to your demat and then close your parent’s demat, easiest way to do this.

3 Likes

Anil , the correct way for u is to get a gift deed done, then procure a transfer form online at say tsr darashaw download site and transfer them to your name, by paying correct stamp charges …or in the name sequence you have ur demat account in, and lodging it to the Rnt Agent of the company. that is tax efficient .

Else the best way is to follow Nitins advise.

If they are not alive , then hope they have nominated you, else you will need the will , and / or indemnity / guarantee / probate from court if amt generally exceeds 50000 to a 100000 as per company policy.

1 Like

Anil - Usually this process is refered to as dematerialization and not demineralization :slight_smile:

Hay that was spell error… :stuck_out_tongue: anytime it will be called same… Changed

I guessed as much, was having a bit of fun :slight_smile:

Poking little fun, You call that easy :slight_smile:

Sir can u please elaborate on documentation required and process to be followed incase the parent has died.
My friend is having shares of company X on his father’s name who died long back and I doubt the Demat account of his father is accessible. In the case he wishes to transfer it in his demat account, please share the process
And can it be done through Zerodha??

@BharatW @Bhuvan Sir, please help me with the information on documentation required and process to be followed incase the parent has died.
My friend is having shares of company X on his father’s name who died long back and I doubt the Demat account of his father is accessible. In the case he wishes to transfer it in his demat account, please share the process
And can it be done through Zerodha??

Yes it can be done in zerodha

Is there a will?

If not ur. Friend need to get a succession certificate from the competent civil court & submit these to the company’s share agents to transfer into your friends name & then demat it

Thanks for following up!!!
RTA like Karvy needs to be contacted?? Do u know the form to be requested for changing the name or transfer agents manage it their own easily

.each company will have their own share transfer agents & have to be contacted separately.

The company website should have this info

Procedures & forms vary based on various factors like nomination in the share certificates.
If will is there or not
Succession cert etc

Same procedures applicable for unpaid dividends also (only for past 7 years)
Older dividends are generally not available. But no harm in asking them.

Example - 3i infotech is share agent for ICICI bank.
LinkIn time (based in Mumbai) is share agent for Indusind bank etc

Thanks @Som_E .