Did 99% of you day trading lose money in 2022?

There only exists a certain amount of inefficiency in the market, that can be turned profitable. The ones that try to squeeze the market for disproportionate returns only end up loosing money and in turn creating those very inefficiencies.

This is one of the most important reasons why most people fail to make money in the markets. Unrealistic expectations.

1 Like

Hey @Gnome , not a really related question but what’s up with garden gnome picture and your location says some Swedish name called skane and googled to find out , it’s from some place in Sweden :thinking:. I am just a little curious

1 Like

First of all, you’re misquoting Zerodha (Nithin). The actual stat was - 99% traders on Zerodha (mostly retail traders) fail to earn more than the risk free rate of return (FD returns used as proxy).
Secondly, I think it’s totally believable, considering trading is a negative sum game after factoring in taxes and charges.

I wasn’t. You’ll find hundreds of these stats online. Ranging from 85-99%.

Didn’t say it was unbelievable, only that the term day trader should be defined better.

Seems like the people who ended the year in red are holding out. 24/40 (60%) people ended the year green, wow!

Yeah, seems like tradingqna has good percentage of profitable traders.

1 Like

All social media platforms usually do.

Is it just me or is 2023 turning out to be even more challenging than 2022. Feels like I’ve already used up all my energy for 2023 by the second week.

1 Like

Why? what happened?

Nothing of concern. Just exhausted by these random market spikes. Quiet expected but not in such succession.

Okay, I just hit the highest drawdown yet (since I started trading full-time). Going to close the books for now & start back only after budget 2023.

Good to see we have proper stats to throw around instead of best guesses from individuals, thanks to sebi!

If you further restrict this study to “serious trades” vs “punters”, the numbers would be even more promising. This study throws a more hopeful light onto trading than I’d imagined!

{ Profit Makers
 During FY22, the average profit earned by profit makers was highest in stock futures
(Rs. 2.4 lakh), followed by index options (Rs. 0.92 lakh). }

as per my thinking, profit makers in index options are mostly sellers who earned Rs:450 per day (average) ,
& profit makers in stock futures kept their target of 1k daily (average).

good report, must read.
( but i think sebi didn’t seen huge huge profit of twittergurus & youtubegurus :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

algo that, algo this; backtest that, backtest this; api that, api this, varsity that, varsity this; podcast that, podcast this; webinar that, webinar this; end of day reports to pre open analysis

The sarcasm here is that, with all the emergence of new knowledge and indulgence of latest technology, hardly anyone seems to be making any money still. On the contrary more seems to be losing as per the reports.

percentage wise maybe but fy19 had 1lakh profitable traders whereas fy22 had 5lakhs. That’s 5 times as many people being profitable. That number is only going up!

I started trading actively in F&O from March’22 onwards. By the grace of God I was profitable in 2022. Hope will be able to do the same this year also.

Our market is maturing and the inefficiencies are growing thin (making profitability even harder). Even still, the number of people profiting is growing, which is always good to hear.

Anyway, even i hit my largest dd yet and took a 3week break! Going back to trading from tomorrow!

I am planning to write a free ebook why 99% traders dont beat FD returns as claimed by Nithin

If you had one losing year out of the last 3 and you have diagnosed what went wrong, please connect DM

I will include your story and profile.

What about 2 losing years? And what private info will you need. These days everyone is asking Aadhar card number. Asking for myself.

1 Like