Did anyone actually make profits while using streak?

@CoolBird,
If something works out in backtest and is of regular retail order size, then its very unlikely the the realtime trading will be far apart form the backtest, if you act withing a minute from notification generation.
Regarding approvals, we will get back to you on that.

1 Like

That’s the whole point… I am missing something here… If I am seeing a huge winning strategy and it almost always does the opposite in real time.

Besides, with BO, te losing potential has actually become predictable as the stop loss always hits before the target is met.

I am 100% more profitable averaging trades using MIS… with a general direction and a general target in mind, over a timeframe of 5 to 45 minutes.

When I do that, as long as I’m convinced that the trade s correct, I am confident of adding more on dips… and partial exits based on resistance points.

But with streak, in my case, I have never made money… I have done manual and streak based trades simultaneously and the divergence was chalk and cheese.

Not blaming anybody but myself, but to be honest, I need advice, suggestion and some streetsmarts to be able to be have my confidence restored.

BTW, BO is becoming a stop-loss hunting game these days and its easier to trust cover orders.

1 Like

Don’t really agree on your view. you can even check response from joe_chris. in past i’ve tried with other tools but from my experience best form of backtest is to do manual checks using charts & also in live market as these tools don’t give accurate results.

1 Like

Hi @Joe_Chris ,

I am not very sure of the BO order part.

But, as a regular user of Streak, i can say that it is helpful to backtest the results, saves a lot of time. But, it still has a long way to go. I have found a few glaring issues in Streak, which needs to be sorted out before it can be depended on completely.

Some strategies might work as expected on Streak, but in some, there might be a huge difference, and some strategies cannot be implemented yet on Streak as there are no options for it.

But, when you are backtesting your strategies, it is better if you just go through the transactions once and compare it with the chart to check if they are working as expected, rather than just depending on the Streak results.
I know this isn’t the ideal use of Streak, but i’m just trying to help out.

I still use Streak and have paid for the subscription, becuase it saves me a lot of time than manually writing down the trades when backtesting. I just need to verify it once after the backtest results on Streak are available.

But, i definitely don’t depend on Streak to call out the trades, as that doesn’t work for my strategy and also there is a bit of work still to do for Streak.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

We cannot provide an answer with confidence on why @Joe_Chris or you are facing this.
The most likely answer would be because the strategies might be scalping strategies or have super small stop loss and are not capturing mid range intra-day trends or movements. These strategies are highly order price sensitive and entering them with order type as MARKET might be the cause, as backtest only enters at a fixed price(open of the next candle). Streak supports BO,LIMIT and MARKET, so you can enter as LIMIT to make sure you get the price you want.
We would be able to answer these in better details if you write to support[@]streak.tech, where we can look at your concept and see where you are facing the issues.
Coming to the matter of backtesting, we are continuously working on adding more flexibility and features to make it more dynamic and adaptive.

@prash_u Our team is working towards enabling features for creating broader strategies creations so that you can create all the strategies, backtest and live track them.
We are not sire where you found in-accuracy in the backtest, but if you are clear with our help page methodology, there should be no inaccuracies. All your feedback is welcome, kindly let us know at support[@]streak.tech, if you already have done so, it will be already under work.

@Streak,

Yes, i have been using it for quite a while now. And It has nothing to do with the help page or methodology.

I don’t want to mention all the issues i have found on this page as i have already mentioned a few in a separate post (link below). So that it can also help others using Streak to verify the backtest results and transactions before drawing conclusions based on them.

hi
streak is allowing to create strategy in equity future only. is it possible to trade in normal equity with streak

@Amit_Kumar You can trade in cash (spot) as well as futures segment. Both the options are available on Streak.

1 Like

The same thing is happing with me. I see huge Profit in backtest but when deployed for paper trade or live trading it shows negative results.

I check the Order log of Live /Paper trading and campare it with backetest of the same date .
IN camparison i found that the alert are getting Skipped In the Live and Paper trading .

@Streak Can please tell what what is the issue.

@Imran_niazi
Backtest represents past performance of the strategy and accounts for fixed slippage as mentioned in the methodology here Backtest - Streak Help
Paper trading simulated for market order being placed similar to what would happen when a market order is placed.

If you are seeing profits in backtest and for the same day in paper trading if you see loss, then the fundamental problem with your strategy is that your target profit/stop loss is less than the market slippage. That means the slippage is eating into your profits. What you could explore here is to increase the tp/sl levels to be larges than the average slippage and volatility.

Streak is a platform that follows well-researched and designed methodologies in all the features, and the success of a strategy in backtesting, paper trade, and live trade just depends on your strategy, while we make sure to provide the fastest and smoothest services of backtesting, live alerts, scanning, etc.

Regards

@Streak
The problem is that signals are getting skipped in real and paper trading.

Buys and sell sígnal are getting skipped in ream and paper trading there is no issue with the strategy.

I check Oder log and found that I got very less almost wrong alert in comparison to the backrest of the same .

My stop loss is O.5% and target profit is 2%.

It’s was working fine till November 2020, January 2021 onwards i facing this issue .

It’s seems like there is high latency in your server/system because of which signals are skipped.

The system will not send a new entry alert before any open position it has exited. So if the trades are happening at significantly different prices which might not be existing at the same time in backtesting, then the next signals can differ if it should have come immediately in the following candle.
Also, do look at the backtest results and see how many trades are of that kind, and is it like back-to-back entry and exit like random scalping or there is some significant gap b/w the two trades. Also you can try to increase the time frame in backtest to see how the trades change.

Another thing to look at is the scrip you are trading, has its ATR increased from what it was in November. Hopefully, the SL and TP you have mentioned are not being used for in derivative contracts.

This looks like a special case, and we can look into this, as fundamentally we have not changed anything from the previous year, but the market’s volatility has changed which might be causing you to see the difference in behavior. If you can write to [email protected] we can have a better look into your case with the logs.

As the latency has been reduced in comparison to before whereas the market volatilities have increased causing higher slippages.
We have also released Limit orders with buffer settings so that you can control the slippage but if the order is pending for a long time then the next signals seen in the backtest might not get generated as there is already a open order.

Signals will only be skipped if the position is still open and there is enough strategy cycle left, and for no other reason, you can check that and reach us at [email protected].

Based on your other post, from your own screenshot here you have not acted on the notification for hours so no alert came till you acted on it.

i’m from software industry & i feel it’s really difficult to build a highly accurate backtest system…few years back i was using amibroker but could see that it failed…i’ve built my strategy using manual backtest in excel formula which gives more accurate results & you can get more confidence rather than using any tool. the live tests are very important to validate your backtest.

it doesnt support safari browser , very strange !! , I been trying since last one year , whenever i press analyze it shows it doesnt support safari open in chrome . I wonder why chrome gets lots of preference & attention over any other browser feels like i should complain to anti competition committee .

Yup ! Better than my manual trading.

There are certain conditions which you need to be aware of.

1. Streak (or any algo platform) is just a machine making just one part of the whole (like the robot arm in a car mfg, it does not make the whole car).

The expectation from an algo is that of an AI while it is just one arm with some sense (not AI). So tone down your expectations accordingly.

1. Market is supreme and is out there to screw you. No algo can protect you. Market figures out my algo in few months and then I have to tweak it.

2. With the present way the algo platforms are setup, they do not support more than three conditions. Untill two conditions it works well in paper trade as well as live, with three it works well in paper but sometimes misses real trades. For more than three conditions, it gives funny results even in backtesting.
    I guess the issue here is I am not able to understand how the algo logic works against the logic that I have in mind. So, with more conditions, my internal logic gets complex and my understanding of algo’s logic gets murky… so the gap.

Overall I am ok with this, however, would wish to have improvement (e.g. Tradetron gives excellent features for coding but the issue of signals getting fired correctly is still there.)… so I think is Streak is still the better option here untill now.

Forget about generating profits, the backtesting results are not consistent, navigating existing strategies and sorting them by various options gives you different lists at different times (you can see this funny thing yourself) and the worst part is backtesting results are not matching with the actual charts with respect to their timing and prices - total rip of money at this stage - hope it gets better in all aspects then start selling the plans to retailers - total waste of money - please do not waste buying any plan…

Hi @hareesh369

Can you share your strategy link for this?

You cannot match a backtest price with an actual price at which your orders gets executed. Backtest trade prices are always based on certain assumptions and not on the basis of actual trades. Otherwise, it would not be called a backtest. You can refer to the assumptions considered in Streak here:
https://help.streak.tech/backtest/#backtest-assumptions

As regards to the timing difference, there is no actual difference since in charts, you refer to the Open time of the trigger candle and in live market, execution takes place after the same trigger candle closes. This is already accounted for and hence Streak considers the trade price as the Open price of the next candle. This has been elaborately here:

Hope this gives a better clarification.

1 Like

Totally agreed !

Agree with you…

@hareesh369

Since you are not comfortable sharing your link here. You can write to [email protected] with your strategy share link and the log details and the support team will help you with this.

Most new users fail to consider slippage and biases while creating strategies and use functions like Multi-timeframe and illogical indicator parameters without understanding their effects. In any practical and sensible strategy stop loss >> slippage.

A backtest is a mathematical recreation of ideal scenarios and cannot factor all the unpredictable nature and noise of the markets, so backtest result and the backtested strategy both should make logical sense to work.

Streak is a platform for strategy creation and not a magic genie lamp that makes your money. Your strategy makes money. Streak helps you in backtesting and validating the idea while saving time and effort required to manually complete the same process. If anyone’s strategy is good they will make money using Streak. If not, the risk management parameters can help. The utility of any tool depends on its user.

1 Like