Everyday of the week will now have a weekly expiry

Yeahh now that you mention it I get that :slight_smile:

It reduces my overnight risk. Obviously returns too reduce but that fine.

Low margin requirement, no charge other than brokerage, less volatility, 12:30 expiry all stand in favour of currency expiry OS trades. But liquidity is concentrated close to atm strikes and dries up fast on expiry day.

Hero Zero traders can trade everyday! Good for them

Option selling in CDS was profitable only during COVID’s peak. These days, you have to play contra for the next week only and exit when you see profit. The premiums are really poor, and the moves are dictated only by option buyers with no HFT or arbitrage intervention.

I started currency OS recently. Till now going well. Premiums good enough to make 0.5-0.6% on trade capital. But one has to get in really fast close to the open. Premiums fall away really quickly.

1 Like

Nice yield!

Tech glitches galore!

@nithin, your two cents on everyday expiry.

1 Like

As you said just for conversation - Let me play the devil’s advocate here, :smiley: what if the volumes over time plateau and stabilize as traders especially most of the buyers would find it tough to sustain in the medium term. And the same applies for sellers too, once volatility kicks in.

If it so happen, traders will move to other instruments where there is liquidity to trade. There are so many different asset classes, derivatives, strikes and so on to spread out to. Greed will find a way over the hurdles.

Besides over 90% of trades at the exchange is pure speculation. The whole market is engineered to encourage traders so that all facilitators involved can make money. So why fret about it and why not look at the brighter shades?

Hi Meher, Do you have any opinion on why the monthly expiry of banknifty is still on thursday?

Hmmm… I should like it as it is good for the business regarding shorter-term revenue, but I don’t like it. If I could do something about it, I’d wish we only go back to monthly options trading.

Few reasons why I feel this way.

1. The primary idea of having F&O is for hedging. We can all agree that no one is hedging anything if trading only on expiry day. This isn’t technically even weekly options; it is daily options since most trading activity has moved to what expires that day.

2. One of the ways I made peace running a trading platform business is that traders bring liquidity to the markets, which makes the overall capital markets in the country vibrant. Reduce impact cost for equity investors, potentially attracting more capital in the country. None of this is happening, with everyone moving from intraday equity trading (the ones who provided liquidity) to expiry-day option trading.

The above two points might make me sound altruistic, but it isn’t, as I think it will also affect the business. The risk here is that one of these days, someone in the Govt might look at it and ask why we need options trading in the country, like what happened with the introduction of 28% GST on real money gaming platforms. So the risk is that if the option trading business continues in this direction, there may not be option trading some day in the future.

8 Likes

I think it is because there are options traders who run Banknifty-Nifty arbitrage trading strategies on monthly expiries. Having both expire on different days will end such a strategy.

Edit: Also, Banknifty F&O and Stock F&O strategies. I missed adding earlier. Thanks, @viswaram

3 Likes

I believe it has to do with the monthly stock expiries also. If banknifty monthly expiry is also moved to wednesday then the stocks like hdfcbank, icici bank, kotak, axis, sbi, indusind and the other bank stock expiries also has to be shifted to wed.

maybe this creates unwanted and unseen effects in inflow-outflow & total hedging.

2 Likes

I understand the good intentions but the market dictates what it wants right? If people want to take bets on 0dte, shouldn’t zerodha lean into it?

‘gaming’ was not as regulated and had quiet a lot of shady money flowing in. A heavily regulated and monitored instrument like options, could the gov come to the same conclusion as ‘gaming’?

Hmmm… I guess you didn’t read this interview. You can maybe figure the purpose of introducing this.

2 Likes

@nithin I have read this but all i got away from this was, the gov saying, we either get a massive pie of the pie or nobody gets pie :sweat_smile:
The gov already receives a massive piece of the pie in f&o (while placing trades, at broker&exchange level & finally itr for profits). So, would the gov ever have the guts to shoot themselves in the foot for a moral high ground?

Is taking the risk worth it, given there will be no going back after that? :slight_smile:

@nithin I would think it is, isn’t it? If most of the revenue generated comes from f&o, the answer is yes the risk is worth it right. Four scenarios:

zerodha doesn’t cater to 0dte & f&o speculative traders:

1. Massive regulation to curb speculation: zerodha only loses existing revenue source
  2. no regulation: zerodha loses revenue to competitors

zerodha invests to cater to 0dte & f&o speculative traders:

1. Massive regulation to curb speculation: zerodha loses existing revenue source
  2. no regulation: zerodha gains big.

Won’t zerodha lose both ways if not catering to 0dte & f&o speculative traders?