FII Order Books on Exchange

Suppose an FII want to buy RELIANCE shares. Do they place the buy order on the same order book as on which, I place my sell order for RELIANCE. That is to say when I see the market depth of RELIANCE, does that data contains the orders by FIIs also?

Or they have separate FII/DII window like bulk/block deals window?

@nithin Can you please answer this?

Unless these are block/bulk deals, all other types of trades happen in the normal market. So the market depth of any stock you see will contain FII and DII orders as well.

To know more on bulk/block deals check out.

3 Likes

bulk deals trades are also happen in the normal market. So the market depth also shows bulk orders as well.

am i right ?

Ah yeah. Only block deals don’t show up.

@nithin

To further expand on this thread, what are the different participants in Indian markets and what are their access channels?

Can you help confirm/correct this list:

1. Retail traders through retail brokers
  2. HNIs through brokers / DMA
  3. FIIs, DIIs through broker / DMA
  4. Prop Desks, Market Makers, HFTs through DMA

Irrespective of channel - broker or DMA, the order book we see contains orders from all participants. Is that correct?

Is there any other channel except for the ones listed above through which one can trade in listed securities. Like Dark Pools etc.?

Also, in case of access through broker, broker ensures client has enough funds/collateral to settle the trades.

But in case of DMA, does exchange take responsibility of this risk management? Or is their a risk of the likes of HFTs having a free run and not being able to settle their trades on a black swan day?

Also, how much would be share of each of these participants in terms of:

• Equity Ownership
  • Daily trading volume
    • In Equity
    • In Equity Derivatives including Index Derivatives

Please some one make a loooong thread with full data.

Always wanted to know who controls , who are the major participant, power players & their methods etc

Have some idea but not full idea.

Someone please

@nithin @ShubhS9 @viswaram @Jason_Castelino @Meher_Smaran

Check this NSE magazine and page 205 onwards.

https://www.nseindia.com/research/publications-reports-nse-market-pulse

These are all the types of participants.

Yes, everything apart from block deals, as I mentioned earlier. The volumes show up after the deal on the normal market depth window, but the deals themselves happen in another window.

All orders get executed on the exchange. So no dark pools etc. You can check this post.

Even in DMA, the broker is responsible. So, even DMA orders go through some broker risk management. I had written on a similar topic earlier.

Check the NSE market pulse magazine. You can also check for this daily on the NSE website.

This is a broad topic, hard to have one looooong thread. :slight_smile: I have written about most bits here on Tradingqna or on Zconnect blogs. You will have to dig in.

3 Likes

What is this other window? What is the mechanism behind it? Who provides price quotes in this window?
Assuming big fishes use this other window to trade, what really moves the markets in the window/order book we see?

Sorry for asking too many questions but this has really piqued my curiosity.

Thanks to you Nithin and Karthik, you have really democratised trading and the whole ecosystem around it.

Already answered this here

If two institutions have agreed to trade at a certain price, they can do it in this separate window. If they try to buy/sell on the normal market it will be hard to execute a deal like this.

You can track the block deal activity here on NSE.

https://www.nseindia.com/market-data/block-deal-watch

Check this FAQ if you want.

Big fishes :slight_smile: trade on the normal markets itself.

1 Like

wow, retail has more strength than fii and dii/mf combined?

and does fii orders in fno appears in our regular market depth or they have seperate market for fii like gift nifty?

Block deals are allowed only in equity. All other trades happens in the normal market, including F&O. This holds true for all types of participants.

But an FII can decide to trade in GIFT city instead of on the onshore markets (NSE). In which case the trading volumes won’t show up on NSE.

are u talking about block deals only ? am i right ?

as per my knowledge there is no volume or liquidity turnover in GIFT city !
am i right ?