Government bonds (G-secs) are now listed on the exchanges

:joy::joy:

Once I apply for the GSEC from COIN, How many days it will take to reflect in holdings & when it will be listed?

@ShubhS9 are the gsec etf offered by lic and sbi really worth over the direct bond purchases?

LICNETFGSC INF767K01MV5

SETF10GILT INF200KA1JT1

NETFLTGILT INF204KB1882

I wasnt able to find the returns data, but their portfolio holdings showed investment in 100% bonds over 6%

What’s your point of view?

Government of India has decided to list all the outstanding Government bonds (G-secs) on the exchanges for electronic trading. It will help in better price discovery and make it easier for traders to get their Mutual Fund needs. Government bonds, also known as G-secs, are debt securities issued by the government of India to finance its expenditure. These bonds are issued in various denominations and have a tenure of up to 30 years.

Do you have the RBI circular on this - need to know whats changing. Already most of the Gsecs are available to trade

well the liquidity is near zero though

2 Likes

Hi There
I’m puzzled. From what I understand, T-Bills will not be considered as collateral for margin, however Liquid MF / ETF’s and of course Gsec bonds are. Why is it such? Aren’t T-bills as good as liquid MF/ETF’s, if not better? Any valuable insights is welcome.

Hi @DTJ, owing to complexities in unpledging T-Bills nearing maturity, they cannot currently be pledged.

Updates 2024:

• Tbill 364 can now be pledged
  • Tbills are tradeable.
  • TBill Ticker is in format - [PP]D[MM][DD][YY]-TB , where
    • PP = period eg: 91
    • MMDDYY- Expiry date: 020524 for T bill maturing on May 2, 2024
    • Eg: 364D020125-TB is 364 day T bill maturing on Jan 2, 2025

@Bhuvan @ShubhS9 Please update main post and Varsity.
cc: @DTJ

1 Like