Historical constituents of NIFTY 50

Where can I get the historical lists of constituents of NIFTY 50 index? Like if I want to see which stocks were part of the NIFTY index in 1998.

3 Likes

https://www1.nseindia.com/products/content/equities/indices/archieve_indices.htm

Check Marketcap & weightage for constituent data.

2 Likes

You can get it from Niftyindices.com not only Nifty 50, you can download all indices historical consituents data can be downloaded from here

5 Likes

Thanks both of you. I’ll check them out.

Can i know your purpose?

1 Like

The link is not longer accessible. Any other alternatives?

1 Like

The link to directly access that report is this. But that report hasn’t been updated after September 2020

3 Likes

Thank you.

Thanks @Prayag
Can you recommend some way to get symbols for these scrips?

@KirubaKaran
www.niftyindices.com/reports/?option1=Archives%20of%20Daily/%20Monthly%20Reports has the same data as https://www1.nseindia.com/products/content/equities/indices/archieve_indices.htm
Both contain data from April 2013.
Can you recommend something which has older data as well?

As this list only contains company names, one way to find out the trading symbols for these scrips would be by comparing it with the document containing the scrip’s company names along with the symbols. The Securities available for Equity segment (.csv) document available on the NSE website would be a good starting point for this.

Normal VLOOKUP or FILTER functions would likely not work as the company names won’t match exactly (due to subtle difference present in the naming conventions of company names of both documents, like for example one document contains the word LTD. whereas the other document contains the word LIMITED for the same company).

Won’t be completely accurate but you will likely have to use fuzzy searching for this (This should be helpful in that matter - Google Sheets - Find Similar Text - How to VLOOKUP, MATCH Inconsistent Text - YouTube). To give a rudimentary example for this, check this Google Sheet)

Thanks for the suggestion @Prayag

From the above link said data is available from Jan 2008. Though, mcwb_jul10.zip not available.
Please, recheck.

Can anyone share me the list of NIFTY 50 stocks from 2008 or 2009? The data in the link only contains the inclusions and exclusions data.

I was working on a momentum strategy with the NIFTY 50 stocks as the base. Need historical index constituents to check for survival bias.

1 Like

This was the Nifty 50 Symbols list on 31 Dec 2008

Company Name
ABB
ACC
Ambuja Cements
Bharti Airtel
BHEL
BPCL
Cairn India
Cipla
DLF
GAIL
Grasim
HCL Tech
HDFC
HDFC Bank
Hero Honda
Hindalco
HUL
ICICI Bank
Idea Cellular
Infosys
ITC
Larsen
Mah and Mah
Maruti Suzuki
NALCO
NTPC
ONGC
PNB
Power Grid Corp
Ranbaxy Labs
Reliance
Reliance Comm
Reliance Infra
Reliance Petro
Reliance Power
SAIL
Satyam
SBI
Siemens
Sterlite Ind
Sun Pharma
Suzlon Energy
Tata Comm
Tata Motors
Tata Power
Tata Steel
TCS
Unitech
Wipro
Zee Entertain

Regards

2 Likes

NF50/100 details

[Security Symbol Security Name Industry Equity Capital (In Rs.) Free Float Market Capitalisation (Rs. Crores) Weightage (%) Beta R2 Volatility (%) Monthly Return Avg. Impact Cost (%)
]

are avlbl till at least 2008 here https://www.niftyindices.com/reports/historical-data
[image]
Use the 2nd last option in dropdown