How can we Invest in Japanese Stocks?

Is there an ETF or Mutual Fund for investing in Japanese Companies such as Toyota?

There is a Mutual Fund called Nippon India Japan Equity Fund - Direct Plan - Growth that has investments in companies like Toyota (Their complete holdings)

Also, in case you have access to US Markets, then you can invest in Japanese companies via ADRs

1 Like

Thanks

@Prayag isn’t Japan’s economy in a liquidity trap for the past 30 years or so? also, the population is growing old there. many suffer from loneliness. The population is shrinking too because many refrain from marriage and having babies. How is such an economy good for investment?

1 Like

Frankly speaking, I wouldn’t be able to predict if such an investment would turn out good or bad in the long term but after searching around I did come across some articles/videos which suggests that opportunities might still exist there -

* The video is an interview of a hedge fund manager/promoter who runs a Japanese-equity specific fund.

But I agree that Japan does face problems that you highlighted as well as many other issues. I had come across a video which gives a somewhat balanced view about them -

3 Likes

I wouldn’t wanna miss out on Toyota!

@Prayag I too invested in Japan; in a different way though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

They say health is wealth. Last year I discarded aluminium and non-stick utensils and bought clay pots for cooking. Food cooked in clay pots is delicious and healthy but the pots are fragile so I was looking for alternate metals. Steel is neutral for health but the usual ones have nickel and cadmium so after much research invested in this frying pan. Look at the beauty made up of Japanese steel. It’s quite heavy-duty and double the price of Hawkins but is nickel-free. Guess the Japanese steel it’s made up of? Nippon only. :wink:

4 Likes

if some one has a/c in USA ,can trade the following ADR’s

The complete list of Japanese ADRs traded in the U.S. is listed below:

ADR Name Ticker Industry
Advantest ATE Tech.Hardware&Equip.
Canon CAJ Tech.Hardware&Equip.
Hitachi HIT Electron.&ElectricEq
Honda Motor HMC Automobiles & Parts
Internet Initiative Japan IIJI Software&ComputerSvc
Konami KNM Leisure Goods
Kubota KUB Industrial Engineer.
Kyocera KYO Electron.&ElectricEq
Makita MKTAY HouseGoods&HomeConst
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial MTU Banks
Mitsui MITSY Support Services
Mizuho Financial MFG Banks
Nidec NJ Electron.&ElectricEq
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone NTT Fixed Line Telecom.
Nomura NMR Financial Services
NTT DoCoMo DCM Mobile Telecom.
Orix IX Financial Services
Panasonic PC Leisure Goods
Sony SNE Leisure Goods
Toyota Motor TM Automobiles & Parts
Wacoal WACLY Personal Goods

Interesting !Once I saw Meyer Pans on a deal in Heritage Fresh. I have only induction stoves (no gas)
Does Meyel stainless steel pans works on induction stove?

It works on both - induction as well as on gas stove.

P.S. Meyer has two variants. Buy the model which says -‘Select’. That’s 100% Nickel Free but more expensive. The other model isn’t nickel free. That has food grade nickel around 18% in the steel composition.

1 Like

For a change, good to see non trading, non political related discussion on this forum.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

On a different note, tomorrow would be a decade of the tsunami earthquake disaster of Japan.