How do I plan my finances?

I thought of replying to the original poster’s query, then saw the direction in which the discussion is going… opting not to !

opting not to post relevant answer because it isn’t relevant to the irrelevant posts?

1 Like

Who helped you plan this portfolio in the first place? - because looking at it its way above a 22yr’s financial literacy.

Hi Gnome , I am not into individual stocks .

Also neither i can predict anything nor can give advice , Apologies from my end .

Why was this flagged?

1 Like

You are just thirty. I guess you can take little more risk.

That makes sense but that its not efficient compared to equity. In long term equity index will reach new highs and so does gold and so does real estate but not interest rate. They move in cycles. I guess one can time interest rates like now have for a year.

In long term from risk to reward perspective MF (referring only to index) is far better than FD, because when you look back index does give around 10 to 12% , so does real estate(generic statement, of course depends area etc) and so does gold.

However in short term such as times like these FD does make sense but that’s only upto a year or two.

I will say one thing here, while forming a portfolio it is important to keep in mind about goals, purpose. It shouldn’t be like you protecting something rather the mentality should be like general in a war. All of us are retail investors are in a big war with central bank. RBI doesn’t simply put bulletin like “we are targeting inflation about 5 to 6% this year”. Equity is the main force(real estate for some although i consider it lousy investment), debt & FD are good but not too many and gold is the rear guard, when everything fails its gold that comes up.

Now to put in terms we see in % , not in lakhs, crs just in %. This is just depended on your needs. For example, if You I have a kid in 1st class, I would blindly do a SIP in nifty and gold( 30% equity 30% gold). this ofcourse is a 18years timeframe. Now if you are in 35’s and kid is just out of 11th standard and next year going to college, doing FD & RD makes sense( i would emphasize this, because my mom made me study this way). Or say you have a target within 3 years which is achievable just by saving FD & RD, I certainly think anyone can do FD. I even bought my bike that way 1L = 19 months savings. but for more than 7years best to trust equity.

On the whole no CA or consultant or anyone can help because our lives are different with different needs. Its best to know each asset class and draw portfolio accordingly.

The guideline i would say is FD is good for 1 to even 5 years max(i would agree) but more than that index, gold equity is better!

@AK23071
I asked that question because there is absolutely no way a 22yr will start allocating money to FDs. If we consider your salary in the 30% slab this should have meant more outflows via taxes.

Also your equity exposure is very less compared to the debt+FD exposure.

I assume a portion of these wealth has been transferred to you by your parents (because of the debt+fd+gold skew)

If someone has assisted you to create this portfolio, we would like to hear the rationale why they suggested this to you.

Incase you do not wish to disclose it publicly you can DM.

1 Like

Please inform your acquaintance that FDs are called CDs (certificate of deposit) in the US. They are offered by every bank, just like here.

Will tell them this. Went through the attachment, are these CD rates offered by Banks in USA? Wow it is over 5%. Never knew this aspect. Will do more digging. Thank you.

Most of them have account with chase and it says it is 0.01%.

It’s a combination of what my grandfather and my mother did.

As soon as my salary hit the account, my grandfather made an FD. Mother used to buy some gold every 5-6 mknths. Continued this till 2019 when I consolidated all FDs into just 5 FDs.

I basically did some equities and gold mf recently because I’m doing no FD/RDs now.

Gold MF is giving me good returns. MF equity is just about okay. Nothing great. It’s just I’m doing it as sab kar rahe ha and maybe kuch exciting returns mil jayega 10-15 saal baad … I have 5.5% ka hi return … but haan I had taken out my gains in equity and put them in debt MF in 2021. Market was at 42k and ab dekho 60k chali gayi…

Most money I have made is in PPF or EPF till date :joy: mast interest add ho jata ha Har saal but yeah I can’t withdraw it

My tax outflow is surely one of the main reason I’m contemplating about my investments.

The only way I can more taxes against my salary is by taking a home loan. I just don’t want to create any leverage for a sword to hang on my head. Plus I simply hate my job. The only reason I’m continuing is because my parents want me to continue doing it saying Har jagah aisa hota ha … chup chaap yaha naukri karte raho :joy:

The only fact I like about my job is that acche bacche ki tarah month end mein salary de dete ha. And yeah kind of job security ha … bas rote rote aur 10 saal kar lenge … like a government job… this is my overall strategy

Like my financial decisions I’m very passive with my job also… all in all I have zero fucks wrt the organisation. I’m currently in middle management … aur 4-5 saal ismein nikalenge then koi top management ke role mein 4-5 saal and then just call it quits…

Your portfolio looks excellent for anybody who is retiring in 5 years. The higher weightage on debt will give you peaceful sleeps.

Since you have 10 to 15 more years left for that, the first major thing you could do is re-invest the capital that is getting released from the FD maturity into something resourceful and having lesser taxes.

Also your portfolio has a hidden gem in it. If the markets crash 30 to 40% you can quickly rebalance by adding equity.

Meanwhile suggesting you to research on the equity, mutual funds & ETF directly and not via a portfolio manager. Even though it may seem you are not making progress in 1st year, over a 3+ year span you will outdo any third-party.

Investing in self via research gives the highest return!

i never understood the “lacks” spelling and its origin.
at first i thought its a typo but it seems thats how you spell it everywhere.
any reason?

1 Like

For a salaried employee, to be tax efficient is very difficult and there are only very few options such as 80C 80D etc. which you might have already exhausted.

I also believe that tax saving by taking a home loan is also not a very wise idea. Instead of paying the taxes, you would be paying interest to the bank. Furthermore, I have less trust in the unregulated development going on in most of the cities and towns of India. If it is for apartments, the structural integrity of most of the buildings and their legal work is also questionable. The rental yield is in the range of 2-3% which does not beat your FDs.

If I were you, during my earning years, I would be investing 50% in Index ETF, and the rest 50% to Gold ETF/SGB, Silver ETF and Debt. This is because index ETF is much more safer than stock investments. The draw-downs are limited when compared to individual stocks during a black swan event. Now index ETFs are tax efficient because the dividend declared by the companies is reinvested into the ETF and there is no need to pay taxes on the dividend. But the same dividend will be taxable when you receive it in your bank account(when holding individual stocks). The index ETFs are also highly liquid(Ex. NiftyBEES). In emergencies, you can pledge the index ETF and also take a short term loan or you can easily sell the ETF proportional to the emergency. No need to sell everything.

In your retirement years, you can reduce equity exposure in systematic manner and then increase the FD or Debt so that you get regular cash flow into your account which could be like your salary. You can adjust the exposure to debt based on your needs and this way you can be tax efficient.

These are my ideas and also what I am implementing but I do not know what the future can bring. Other experienced investors and traders could also comment on this idea.!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes.

Yes, I I used to work for JPMorganChase&Co, but kept my money elsewhere :joy:

You’re the FD queen of TQnA, you know the downsides of chasing yield, and also the the downsides of going towards the most risk-free option especially in times of a crisis. I’m sure you will guide your friends on the right path.

Oh Nooooooo. You are correct. It should be lakh. Not sure why, I keep typing lack. I think its an habit.

Anyways learnt two important things from this post. Thank you.

Goodness need to go and check what spell I used when I gave out post dated cheques. Quite embarrassing to tell the holder of cheque, that I need to replace the cheque as I made spell mistake. But till date none got returned, so should be ok…I guess.

The right answer to this is that it depends While, you’ve shared your investments, there’s more to your personal finances than just investing. In fact, I’d go so far as to call investing a waste of time. There are far bigger priorities that you should focus on. I wrote this recently, hopefully, it helps.

4 Likes

There are no shortcuts, investing is the only way to truly learn this.

Hey @viswaram

Kinda unrelated but this comment of yours really did give an amazing insight.

So imagine a freshman 22 year old guy , just graduated from college and the goals are

1. 65L 2bhk debt free
  2. 6L car debt free
  3. 1 L bike debt free
  4. 15L Bank balance and 7L of investment
  5. 6L marriage expenses

So assuming the guy is Outta college has no education loan, no liability starting from account 0 , isn’t going to abroad and is purely salaried class , no credit cards. With income tax slab rate and say salary around 5 - 9 LPA average and 8 years of working, it’s near impossible to fulfill all above criteria by Age 30 isn’t it?