How do I plan my finances?

Numbers are not adding up.

9L/annum x 8 years is max 72 lakhs
taxes + expenses together will erode 33% of it → you will have 45 to 48 L if you are that frugal. No way you can buy the home debt free. All other items sounds like possible - but the mindset wont allow you to buy car/bikes w/o loans.

What will be the monthly expense of a 22yr old bachelor these days?

Id disagree slightly on this buddy!

I’m not a huge fan of corporate world or the job scenario in India but I’d just want to add my 2 cents here:

1. Irrespective of the age, as soon as you enter the workforce, be clear about two aspects: Maximise your earnings and at the same time your savings. Don’t limit your thoughts in 5-9 lac bracket. It’s a purely transactional world. Friends, colleagues or relatives or girlfriends etc are just a waste of your time and energy. Focus on earning and maximising your potential. Period.

2. Barring necessary transportation purchases, ones got to be flexible in terms of location. No need to buy a home till the point you are clear that you are going to settle down at that very location for next 10 years minimum that too with family.

In short only two things are under your control:

1. Your growth in corporate wrt compensation. Simply go where they pay you more.
  2. Your savings. Be frugal and it’d serve you best once you are say 35-40. Because tab tak saare shauk khatum ho jayenge.
TL;DR: The numbers being discussed are realistic. Can be achieved. Are being achieved.

(while we wait for OP to share their particular experience,
here are my observations from the past decade of working with 100s of IT professionals)

Easy answer = Working at Multi-National Corporations (or their indian subsidiaries).

I agree that the numbers being discussed in this topic-thread
maybe an exception in the grand scheme of things.
But, these numbers are the norm at the top of the IT sector.

Over the last decade,
each year thousands of Software Developers
started off with the kind of compensation being discussed in this topic-thread (i.e. way more than 10Lac/yr).
(Note: This is a tiny fraction of the lakhs of students who graduate and join the workforce each year).

Such folks working at large corporations,
even if they do the bare minimum at work,
they are assured of annual hikes to match inflation / cost-of-living.

Also, annual bonuses and stocks that vest over 1-4 years.
(Tech-stocks that have easily doubled/quadrupled in the bull-market of the past decade.
Thus, often netting the employees more than their cash-component of the pay package.)

Over the past decade, Job-hopping every 2-3 years has proved to be the optimum.
Essentially wait for any bonuses/stocks to vest and hop unless one receives 2x-4x refreshers.
(with anywhere from 20 -100% hike at each hop)
At that rate 3-4 jobs in a decade easily.

Also, a few manage to consistently get such pay hikes even staying at a single company
by focussing on what the company values most and delivering that
even if that means sometimes by grinding 60hr+ work-weeks.
(and in the process picking-up key skills and becoming irreplaceable at work.)

Yes, Absolutely :100: ! Essentially it boils down to this. :point_up_2:

As long as one manages to pick-up relevant knowledge/skills
either in school/college, or during the first few years at work,
and is smart/lucky enough to land a job that matches one’s skill-set,
the job-offers and packages start snowballing.

If such a person continues living as-is without any significant lifestyle inflation,
then one day in their 30s they come to the happy realisation that
they are now a modern-day Scrooge McDuck. :money_mouth_face:
(and that its been years since they saw DuckTales)

https://c.tenor.com/puvU5YS9r4cAAAAC/tenor.gif

Well I’d not get into the dynamics of age/stream here. Education tracks and opportunities basis that will differ for each other, The net message im trying to convey here:

1. Whatever age you enter the workforce after completing your education (UG/PG). One must simply focus on 2 aspects: 1. Maximise earnings 2. Enhancing Savings

Ofcourse earnings can be maximised by switching jobs/upskilling or other means. One got to be ruthless and be at it at all times. Even if you say start at 3 lpa, you got to every day night think what do I do to make it 6 lpa then think what do I do to make it 12 lpa so on and so forth.

1. What I meant here by transactional here is that any job you do, whether you work in IT or a Law firm or CA firm or MNC, it’s a transactional relationship. Paisa do kaam do ; have no emotions whatsoever at workplace ; things like this that I love my job, my WLB is great; my Org is great ; my colleagues are great; is all plain bullshit

Plain simple math is what hits your account every month, after giving your 9-10 hours to your bosses. Period.

Well I did the traditional education that most Indians do that’s BTech + MBA.

I have been with the same Org that I joined staraight out of campus. Haven’t switched job for the last 7 years.

Anyway guys the objective of this post is not to discuss careers etc. let’s stick to the financial arguments…

Any other suggestion that I could incorporate? I’d be happy to hear them

I agree with your points 100+% and unfortunately that is how the world is working. Pure Capitalism. It is so sad to see that fresher still earns something around 3.5lpa after doing a BTech which now costs around 10-20lakhs for a 4 year degree. After this much investment, I do not see any point to work for 3.5lpa. The salaries for the same freshers 10 years ago were still around 3lpa. The starting salaries does not even cover the inflation.

So every employee should be ruthless in up-skilling and demanding enough remuneration for their skills. Plain and Simple. Everything else in corporate life is secondary and waste of time and should be limited as much as possible.

Most companies are so greedy that one of the report from Moneycontrol finds out that the CEO salaries increased by ~840% in the last 10 years but the employee salaries increased by ~45% and this is unfortunately the sad state of the society. They further have so many complaints about moonlighting etc. In this scenario, every employee is completely responsible for their career and there is no point in blaming the company at a later point in time. The sooner they understand this the better it is!!

1 Like

I second your thoughts. While I do understand that there is merit in all the worldly desires one has … be it emotional or materialistic…

Partying with friends…dating…shopping gadgets etc. there is a merit in having this approach as well…

But my limited understanding of corporate India is as follows:

1. The competition is intense. Irrespective of the level you operate at. You’d always find someone who’d be ready to do the same job at half the cost. So the youth today has to gear up and slog if they really want to make some money via job.

2. After a point say around 28-32, one realises that most people are busy in their lives and careers. And if one wastes their prime youth thinking about others, it’s just too late for them to recover in the corporate game.

Well I agree IT salaries are stagnant in the 3.1-3.6 range. Let me tell you another fact, that is going to be the case even in 2032. The only inflection point I see where salaries can go up, wherein companies lower the headcounts and expect more out of each individual. So let’s not waste our energy. The key is to upskill and slog as much as one can. Be the best version of yourself and make as much money for yourself and your family. Period.

That’s not really not true. I am saying for average person. See a 15 LPA guy gets 90k in hand only. And the ones 24 LPA get around 1.5 L in hand. That’s how tax slabs are. Maybe the very very rare guy gets 2 L in hand and he is probably a principal engineer working in top startup.

The costly resources are always a problem besides MNC usually wouldn’t keep them in india if the pay is high, they would be onshore than offshore

So the conclusion overall is:-

1. People do currency arbitrage (going abroad and working)

2. Have a active bussiness with high income rate

3. Trading with leverage

It really boils down to above 3

My whole point of the conversation is people in 20’s have unrealistic expectations when they are bullheaded to just work in india , just be salaried guy and isn’t doing anything extra. This is my takeaway

And to a fair point I believe this is why we trade. Time has always been the true wealth all along. What we do with it is important

I think it’s a bad perception. Frankly you need to meet people to get information. Not everything is transactional in life. What matters is one having stability in life (job) and how well you fail early fast(any bussiness, venture , trading in a way it doesn’t harm entire account). I am in 27, far stabilized, I have failed lot, but in corporate life it’s not all black and white. As long as you have skills and min 2 years experience in startup anyone can get corporate job. I know so many people including b.com that did this.

This is only the one side of The thing , the other is something that needs to be done extra out of comfort zone. As far as I know the majority go to abroad for this

Fair points but I’m just talking about corporate India. Ofcourse if someone can breakout by doing business, going overseas et al, then perhaps it might provide better outcomes.

I haven’t experienced it. In traditional Indian or MNC companies, there’s a traditional growth path from junior management to top management. I’m speaking from that context.

But anyway, the post is not about career choices. Any thoughts per se about my current investment choices?

So many experienced people have already given their advices. Its strange that you are still searching; and if you are, then better to approach a financial advisor.

1 Like

Shift gold to sgb
Try to shift fd to gilt funds or conservative hybrid funds/balanced advantage fund/arbitrage fund
Try to go for nps

What would the SGB advantage be vs Gold MF?

I have not invested in it, but from what i remember,

1. 2.5% extra interest income ( taxable)
  2. No CG if held till maturity
  3. MF will also take expenses. Not sure about SGB.

Verify.

1 Like

On the basis of the details you have provided, your age is 30 years and 8 years experience means I am assuming you are doing job right now. So at the age of 30 you should go with equity heavily.

Just keep 1 year expense to bank fd or debt fund and transfer the remaining amount in index mutual funds but one domestic mutual fund like sensex and one international like Nasdaq100 to get more returns.

If you wish you can keep investment in gold but again at age of 30 you can take risk so shift to equities and most likely you will reach to your goals.

Disclaimer - I m not financial advisor so pls concern financial advisor before making investment decision.

1 Like

Hi AK

Diversification: While debt investments offer stability and consistent returns, having a diversified portfolio is important. Consider allocating some of your investments towards equity-based instruments such as mutual funds or individuals.

Equities offer the potential for superior long-term returns compared to other investment options like stocks, although they come with higher volatility. Given your time horizon of 10-15 years, you can afford to take on a reasonable level of risk.

Asset Allocation: Review your asset allocation strategy To guarantee that your asset allocation aligns with your capacity to handle risk and your financial aspirations.

It’s generally recommended to have a balanced allocation between debt and equity. Consider gradually increasing your exposure to equity-based investments, keeping in mind your risk appetite and comfort level with market fluctuations.

Tax Efficiency: Since you mentioned paying taxes on your fixed deposits (FDs), it may be worth exploring tax-efficient investment options. Look into tax-saving instruments such as Equity Linked Saving Schemes (ELSS) within the mutual fund category, which offers potential tax benefits under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. Additionally, consider tax-efficient investment vehicles like the National Pension Scheme (NPS) or tax-free bonds, depending on their suitability to your financial situation.

Reviewing Returns: Assess the performance of your mutual funds and make any necessary adjustments. Evaluate the historical returns of your funds and compare them with their respective benchmarks and peers. If you find consistent underperformance, it might be worth exploring alternative mutual funds or considering the guidance of a financial advisor to support you in making informed investment decisions.

Regularly monitor: Maintain a vigilant watch over your

investments and stay updated with market trends. Consider reviewing your investments at least annually or when notable changes in your financial circumstances or investment goals occur. Periodically rebalancing your portfolio to maintain the desired asset allocation.

Retirement Planning: To retire comfortably by the age of 40-45, estimating your future expenses is crucial, accounting for inflation. Calculate the amount you need annually during retirement and work backward to determine the additional capital required to generate that income stream. Consider consulting a financial planner to create a comprehensive retirement plan based on your income, expenses, and investment goals.

Remember, these suggestions are general, and it’s essential to consider your risk tolerance, financial circumstances, and long-term goals when making investment decisions. It’s advisable to consult with a qualified financial advisor who can provide personalized guidance based on your specific situation.

:exploding_head: retire!!!

1 Like

If you have accumulated ~4crs in the last 8 yrs, why do you think you’d only add another 3-5 crs in the next 10-15 (just your 4crs will generate another 4crs at 7% cagr in the next 10 yrs)?
Is a part of it inherited?

PS - congratulations on your achievement. Unless you have some private yatch / jet retirement plans, you can very easily retire by 40 by just following your current approach. Though one might be tempted to put a fraction of it into large&mid index funds (and nothing fancier).

PPS - are you still unmarried? (I may know just the right person :rofl:)

Hey i am 21 years old , I just landed a job through campus placements in a company and it pays me 17lpa CTC , (13 lpa base) and it has also given me an internship of around (60k per month and its a 6 month internship) ,i dont plan on buying house in the metro city that i work in , can you guide me.