How does Add Referral work?

I wanted to refer a friend of mine, so in Referral in my account, I added the person’s name, email id and mobile number. It said it was successful.

This was on Wednesday. I called the guy today (5 days later) and he says he didn’t receive any mail or SMS from Zerodha.

I know I can send the signup link with my code in it, but before doing this, just wanted to clarify what the ‘add referral’ does if it doesnt send the signup link??

bump

You can refer a friend through two modes:

1. Add the details in the referral section: Enter your friend’s details directly to ensure the referral is accurately captured under your ID.
  2. Share an affiliate link: Provide your friend with an affiliate link, which they must use to register. If they register directly without using this link, you may lose the benefits associated with the referral.

Option 1 is the most reliable way to ensure your referral is correctly mapped. If you have your friend’s details handy, you can enter them yourself and then send them a link to register. This approach minimizes the risk of losing referral benefits due to incorrect registration. However, with Option 2, the onus is on the referred friend to use the affiliate link for registration. If they fail to do so, your referral might not be mapped, and you could miss out on the associated benefits.

Also, under option 1, we do not have explicit consent from the referred client to contact them. This lack of consent means we avoid making unsolicited calls or sending emails, which could lead to issues such as contacting incorrect numbers and unnecessary spamming. Hence, we don’t :slight_smile:

Thanks!
I already added the name to referral section.

I will now send the referral link to same person.

Maybe this point (that adding details does not send anything to the person) could be clarified in the Referral section.