How does the new physical settlement of stock derivatives work?

Thanks Mohd Faisal for quick reply. Just few more follow-up questions.

Let’s assume that I am short 1280 CALL on Kotak

1a) Kotak trades at 1275. (Non Covered CALL) Despite Kotak is trading closer to the strike, Zerodha will NOT square-off during the expiry day or earlier as long as sufficient span+exposure margin is maintained. Correct?

1b) Kotak trades above 1280 (say around 1320) but I hold equivalent stocks in my demat. Zerodha will not square-off on expiry day or earlier as I can meet delivery obligations. Correct?

Now let’s assume that I am short 1280 PUT on Kotak

2a) Kotak trades at 1285. (OTM) Despite Kotak trades closer to the Strike, Zerodha will not square-off on expiry day or earlier as long as sufficient span+exposure margin is maintained. Correct?

2b) Kotak trades at 1275 (ITM). Though I don’t have sufficient balance in my demat account to pay for stocks, I have sufficient margin balance to meet span+exposure margin requirements. Will Zerodha square-off ONLY on expiry day (Thurs) or can it even do it earlier during expiry week as soon as the Naked PUT becomes ITM? Pls clarify.

Thanks in Advance

If the scrip is trading to close to the strike, the decision to square-off will be at the discretion of our RMS team as you don’t hold the deliverable quantity in your demat a/c. It is ideal you do not take this risk as the cost of auction settlement is high if your position turns ITM and cannot be squared-off.

No, as long as you hold the quantity in your demat and you comply with the margin requirements, your position won’t be squared-off

Correct

We increase the margin requirements starting from Expiry minus 4 days up to 80% of contract value on expiry(Which is higher than SPAN+Exposure). If you fail to maintain these margins, your position can be squared-off any day during the week after a margin call is given to your through Email/SMS.

Thanks Mohd Faisal.

Is the increase in margin requirements starting from Expiry minus 4 days upto 80% of contract value mandated only for ITM or even OTM / Near TM ?

For option short positions, both ITM/OTM.
For option long positions, only ITM.

Hi…

If I have enough funds in my trading account to hold a short call till expiry and if the same ends up as OTM(which is worthless) it will still be cash settled like before. Correct?

Lets say I hold Hexaware 400 CE and stock price is at 350 around and assume that I shorted Hexaware 400 CE at 3/-… I will get 1500 x 3 = 4500 into my account. Correct?

All these physical settlement rules are applicable only for ITM and nearest ITM calls which are vulnerable/prone to be exercised by buyers. Correct?