How many bars can one look at to identify the trend using price action?

You need at least 14 bars (this is just my convention, and by no means a standard) to identify a trend. For example if you are using 1 minute bars, you will need 14 , 1 minute bars.

If you are using EOD charts, you need 14 EOD bars…so on and so forth.

2 Likes

No. of Bars - I don’t know, but what I do to check the trend will detail below:

I first check the EOD chart (Daily) - Short Trend

Then I check EOW chart (Weekly) - Midterm Trend

So if both are UPTREND, then I BUY (after market has stabilized after opening)

If both are DOWNTREND, then I SHORT SELL (after market has stabilized after opening)

If both are in OPPOSITE direction, then TREND is not clear, I avoid trading.

I might sound kiddish, but this is what I do, to trade NIFTY Futures and Options.

3 Likes

INTRADAY VERSION:

first check the EOD chart (Daily) - Short Trend

Then I check EOW chart (Weekly) - Midterm Trend

So if both are UPTREND, then follow BUY signals from supertrend

If both are DOWNTREND, then follow SELL signals.

1 Like

I personally use around 100-120 candles on the timeframe I am trading. However, no perfect answer for this, it depend upon what makes sense to you.

Thanks karthik. Will this be sufficient in intraday too. What about trend reversal?

14 day convention is just to establish a trend. To identify trend reversals one needs to look at a slightly larger time frame. Here is where the accumulation and markup phase plays a role - http://zerodha.com/varsity/chapter/dow-theory-part-1/ check out section 17.2.

its not kiddish my friend, sounds logical :slight_smile: thanks!

seems good…can u check for me the EOD AND EOW trend of TECHM fno…i checked EOD is in buy mode and past 2 days it moved more than 100 rupees…thats great piece of info…thannx lot…

NTPC is in BUY mode in EOD,supertrend gave signal in intraday 2 days before and stock is now moved ore than 6 rupees.

the perfect answer is told by $ud3$h

Does that mean I am barred from answering?

Rahul im sry…dont mistake go can read that answer and might get good idea for that only bro…again am sry.

No issue bro, that’s OK. Its just that I am a very short tempered person. I am sorry too. All settled now, have a good day :slight_smile:

.many good friends start from such quarrels and fights :)-

Ya that’s true :slight_smile: