How much time does it takes from placing order to order getting actually placed on exchange

I have noticed many times that the orders which were placed by me at sharp 09:00 were showing delayed time stamp in placed orders in kite. I have attached a screenshot showing exactly this. I placed my order as soon as the clock hit 09:00:00,but the actual time stamp which I got was 09:00:49. why this delay of 43 secs? By that time there were lacs of orders already ahead of me. Can anyone from team zerodha or @nithin explain this? Am I missing something?

1 Like

At 9, we send all AMO orders and many will be placing orders at market opening time hence one may witness some delay at that time, orders will reach exchange via leased lines and leased lines has restrictions on number of requests that can be sent to exchanges in 1 second, in general terms there is restriction on number of orders that can be send to exchange in 1 sec via leased line. Also NSE has limitation on number of requests it can process in 1 sec, if I am not wrong it can process only 50k orders in 1 sec, 50k orders include all the orders from brokers across India.
Also at 9 there won’t be any trades in eq, at 9.07 to 9.08 we see trades and it is price time priority, only if the stock is illiquid we may sit little far in the queue if any delay is there, as AMOs are released first, I would recommend to place AMO order and also place it as early as possible.

7 Likes

I have also faced exactly same prob.

Article by Nithin - AMO, first full order

Read the last paragraph of this article written by Nithin in Zerodha Blog it says opposite of what you are saying Siva. Pls confirm. It says below:

If you are looking at getting the best fill first thing in the morning, placing a market order at opening is a much better idea than using AMO.

which is fast : (1) AMO at market ; (2) pre open at market ; (3) placing a market at opening ?

can u pls arrange in the hierarchy with the explanation !!!

@siva
@nithin

Placing your order in pre-market is higher in preference as pre-market opens at 9am and normal market at 9.15 am. All AMOs that you place, we anyways fire that to the exchange when the pre-market opens. So you can either place an AMO (before 9am) or place an order at 9am yourself, it is the same thing.

1 Like

I came across an old article which also mentioned about this -

NSE currently operates with 10 trading engines and handles 450 million orders every day with 50,000 order messages per second for trading across asset classes. It has a capacity to scale it to more than 200,000 messages and manage 10 times the current orders, retaining the round-trip latency in milliseconds, says Apte who has been with NSE for over six years now. Trading speed on BSE is less than 10 milliseconds and the exchange’s new trading system — BOLT — handles more than 20,000 orders per second and 100 million orders every day.

As nearly 2 years have passed since this post (and nearly 8 years since that article was published), I wanted to ask, has this limit been increased? Is the data about per second order limit on NSE available anywhere on their website?

I did come across a recent article on VMware website, in which NSE’s CTO/COO mentioned that they process around 4 billion orders per day and process almost 200,000 orders per second.

2 Likes

Does NSE also has broker wise limit for orders received per second.

Just want to check if i have place order exactly at same time till millisecond counter 9:15:00.500 via Kite and some other broker, will both have similar delay.

Regards,
Aj