How often Zerodha crash and prevent you from trading effectively ?

Whats your experience ?

I am new to Zerodha. Among a few platforms I have sampled, I found this one to be faster and the API to be easier so choose to play with it. But to my surprise, it seems highly unstable. Over a period of two weeks I have spent on this platform, it has crashed numerous times. e.g. yesterday it was giving 503 during live trading hours for more than an hour. And this has happened within last two weeks more than thrice for hour long periods. Personally I find it quite upsetting and scary specially when I am holding a position which is more often then not.

During these periods even I cant open my support code page which means effectively I cant reach anyone in Zerodha support. Tweeting to ZerodhaOnline and @Nithin0dha doesnt even elicit a response.

How are we expected to deal with this ? How do you deal with this ?

@nithin any recommendations ? Such a sensitive platform handling money from so many over so many years I definitely expected better. Is our funds and trading data even safe and can we rely on it or should I expect my funds to just vanish overnight one day ?

2 Likes

To add to this, the mobile app is even worse and having worked with Zerodha API, I can clearly see why of the issues this platform has. Its really a sad sad medal for pathetic tech skills of Indian coders.

Hey @gautama yesterday we had issues as mentioned here.

Can you tell when else in the last two weeks you have had issues? I will ask @Arockiya_Raja to call you if you can leave your client ID in DM with him.

We hadn’t had any issue that affected a large group of customers ( 1lk to 2lk active customers) for a long period of time, and unfortunately we have had a couple of them in quick succession in the last 3 months. These were triggered due to random issues from some external dependencies. We are working on ensuring these don’t repeat.

That said, I guess everyone has to make peace with the fact that tech platforms will have downtimes, doesn’t matter who it is from big tech to banks to brokers. The quest is to ensure it can be as little as possible.

Hmmm… I don’t think you are being fair here by making a broad statement like this without giving any details. It will be useful if you can give specific feedback on what exactly you think is the issue.

1 Like

@nithin thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately thats the only thing so far I have been able to appreciate about Zerodha even if you or your team didnt respond to my tweets about system failure when I had no other way to reach your support ( couldn’t retrieve the support code from app ).

Since my initiation, the app has crashed atleast on 3 occassions with minimum duration of 15 mins although I was mostly exploring not holding sensitive positions before except yesterday. So it didn’t bother me much prior to this. And it doesn’t really matter what percentage of zerodha users were really affected IMO. The mobile app fails repeatedly with ( unexpected error message ) and I am attaching a screenshot from Nov 28 ( this is in addition to the ones I twitted you yesterday ) when it kept failing miserably. This pic is taken from my google photos gallery to highlight date of capture i.e. Nov 28th. And in peak trading hours the app keeps failing repeatedly and consistently.

And NO, tech platforms are not expected to have downtimes running into hours when its a decade old and is profusely used. It should be immaculate and 100% available specially if it deals with sensitive subject like 2 million retail investors money.

In all fairness I stand by my bitter statement about the tech skills behind your product. Please refer to my

github issue - Java 8 on maven compatibility · Issue #41 · zerodha/javakiteconnect · GitHub
PR that I created - Maven compatible - java 1.8 upgrade by aino-gautam · Pull Request #40 · zerodha/javakiteconnect · GitHub

Discussions I initiated and engaged in with your team members on kite forum

Trying to retrieve historical data throws insufficient permission error - Kite Connect developer forum ( refer to my detailed reponse to @sujith’s questions )

In addition, I have gone through your api design and the code underneath. The standard of code or lack thereof speaks highly of the overall quality of architecture ( specially from reliability perspective ) and I am not surprised your system crashes regularly and every night you need maintainance downtime for continuity.

Once again I am happy you participate here to respond directly to such interactions. Thats the only incentive to explore zerodha further.

thanks…

In addition I have I have more comments / observations on the feature set and lack there of . Considering the number of years you have spent building and expanding its definitely a sad state of things. e.g. no option chain for commodities, popup option chain from sensibull ( at least the ui could have been improved by now ).

Also how come my used margin in funds is zero as I write this although I am holding a number of positions in equity segment ?

Hi @gautama

Can you please DM me your client ID? Will get it checked with the team

@Meher_Smaran I think all you need is already here in this thread. Messaging you my client id just in case.

@nithin The issues with Kite and Zerodha platform doesn’t seem really to be isolated. Please refer to this

I hope I don’t need to reconcile my trades on Zerodha with those from exchange to be sure but seems there is no other way.

@Arockiya_Raja can you have a word with Gautama on all these points.

These are real issues. I’m facing the same. But zerodha will just ask ur client id ,pacify u like a toddler and forget the rest. The past few months have shown what bigger issues zerodha wud be facing in coming times. Just wait n watch

1 Like

@K_T I am a bit puzzled actually with the lack of number of complaints about these issues. With 20lakh customers by now the hemisphere should have been on fire but guess its the style we Indians operate with.

1 Like

Yes sadly, it’s chalta hai attitude. We are at mercy here. After a while ,We get used to this and thers no point lol. People will shout and still use zerodha and zerodha knows it :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah … makes sense. not too many great platforms out there anyway… have you tried hdfc sky ?

No but I would look into it. On days when these issues are so frequent ,I really want to switch to other broker ,it’s really frustrating.

Actually upstox is technically reliable and is rather friendly but their api kinda complicated. They also seem to have functional issues but the good news is they are prompt to fix it. I am checking out hdfc sky and it seems to be more or less equally faster and considering its HDFC I would consider it more reliable and less heads up their arses when customers complain of issues.

I think team Zerodha is just too proud of what they received on a platter simply because they were first to market with the idea and is not able to move from that place. They have something cool that with few improvements to their dev process could become the place to go to but no. They are just too cool to notice they need to change something.

Its rather sad and pitiful.

1 Like

Not really.

When someone is NOT catering to you,
please understand that you are NOT the target audience.

There is no one-size-fits-all broker for everyones’ needs.

Please spend some time searching and reading previous posts/discussions on such topics already available on this forum. They have repeatedly confirmed where Zerodha’s priorities lie…

…and plan your choice of broker accordingly.

For example, here are 3 topic-threads…

1 Like

@cvs thanks. Yes I alredy sort of figured. I say sad since such possibilities :slight_smile: but impossible.

1 Like