How to interpret these pre-opening orders on listing day?

Hello everyone,
Zomato is listing today. I was looking at the pre-opening market depth (at about 9:03am).

This looks very strange to me, especially the Sell orders. The cutoff price was Rs. 76, why would people place so many orders to sell at 25% loss even before the first trade happens? Are these system-generated “dummy” orders placed by the exchange’s software itself, but why would they do that?

1 Like

Buyers want to buy at any price and sellers want to sell at any price, any way the trade only happen at equilibrium price, so you can see more buyers are there so likely trade will happen at upper end only.

They are just indicative, you can know more here about pre open.
Also on listing day preopen will be from 9 to 9.45 am.

2 Likes

if they want to sell and buy at any price meaning have placed market order?

if the market order is placed.
why would it take 133 for buyer and 57 for seller?

Priority is given to highest bid , Market orders are not guaranteed to be executed at open rate https://www1.nseindia.com/products/content/derivatives/equities/trading_system.htm also if i remember for IPO only LMT order is allowed at preopen so that a equilibrium price is determined

Not market, it is limit. As mentioned above only limit orders are allowed during IPO pre open.

2 Likes

Watch this video. It clearly explains how pre-ipo works and will clear all your doubts .

1 Like