How to know the status of old physical shares if they have been demated or not?

I have read few questions and answers related to old physical shares to demat, but here I don’t know the status of all the physical shares that are lying with my family and, my Dad says we have demated some and we have not demated some, which is more confusing as we don’t have record of the shares that are demated.

How can I check the status of all, is there a website/email id of sebi or nse that can help or some companies that overtakes and does this work for me, my broker has told me No for this as they don’t want to waste their time

Also, wanted to know the same for NCD’s as well

If you have physical share certificate with you then they are not demat.
To demat a share you need to send over physical certificates.

If he says some is demated, it should appear in his demat account. Check his demat account statement. If they are not in statement, they are not demat

I am not aware if someone does provide such service. But it is not lot of work.
Start with couple of valuable shares and do the process. Do not bother about shares which do not have lot of value for now.
l am sure it won’t be lot of work. But yeah lot of time will go, waiting for company response and process to proceed.

1 Like

First of all thankyou Akash for your reply, it’s really helpful.
My dad says he had submitted the xerox of the same and thus we have the physical cetificates, I have also emailed to some of the company regarding the status of the shares and they have replied it that it has been demated also we don’t have the demat account statement of the year they had demated which has led to a lot of confusion
The whole process as you rightly mentioned is tedious and takes a long time and that’s why I was hoping if there was one single site where I can get all the info

Hi Varun,

It is not possible to dematerialize the physical shares by submitting photocopies of the same. You need to surrender your original share certificates to get them in the Demat account. If the original share certificates are still with you, either they have not dematerialized or the certificates are old and defunct and the new share certificates were dematerialized which are issued against these old certificates.

You can contact the company registrar to get the exact details of transactions that happened in the particular folio number. It is not necessary to get the Demat account statement for the year when the shares were dematerialized, you can ask your DP service provider where the physical shares were submitted to give you the Statement Of Transaction(from inception) or Statement of Holdings(as on date) to get the details about the shares dematerialized. There is no site where you can check the details of the physical shares held by the investor(s), the investor(s) need to contact the respective company registrar to get the details.

This is a standard process that will take 20-25 days to complete. You can go through the link to know more about the dematerialization process.

5 Likes

That is super helpful @Ashith

This could happen I will definitely crosscheck this with my dad

Really Grateful and Thankyou for replying Ashith

2 Likes

Hi guys,

With your help, I found out we had some old shares of reliance but because the certificates were lost, we did the full procedure of getting the duplicate certificate and giving the FIR but now the concered company says it works on first come first basis meaning people who had registered first for certificates as well as getting it dematerialise it will be done in a queue. But we don’t know how many thousands or lakhs of people are there before us, we have submitted in June last year and on the internet we read people after 14 months are also waiting. Any idea what should we do?

IF all the formalities as directed by registrar for getting a duplicate share certificate complected by you normally Police fir copy , Affidavit , Indemnity bond , surety (depends on market value of share) , cost of advertisement for loss of share etc etc the registrar will ask for CML (client master list ) of your demat account . have you gone through all these ?

So, I have done all the procedure of affidavit, surety, FIR etc for loss of share…But registrar hasn’t asked for CMA, when we follow up with them they just it is first come first basis and that we have recieved your documents.

If formalities are completed , as and when your turn come , they will ask for CML for having shares in demat mode . even if you do not submit CML or they do not ask , physical shares will be sent to you in due course.

But this could take years?
How can we even know when they will be sending it, there is no single portal available

surely not years but if all the required formalities are completed and ACCEPTED by registrar it should be a matter of few months max…the delay is perhaps because (1) they have acknowledged receipt of documents but are under scrutiny (2) Combined ( with many other shareholders) single paper advertisement for loss of shares .

1 Like

Got it, thanks for the help

Hi @aniln with your and others help, my physical shares has been demat and just wanted to thank you for helping.
It has been a huge help and would like to thankyou on behalf of my family as well. Keep sharing the knowledge.
Thankyou once again

1 Like

Hi @varun_10,

I was going through your query as I am also starting the process to demat the old physical shares.
In my case, we only have photocopies of the old physical shares. The original certificates are missing.
Could you please guide me the steps please. I am not finding the starting point.

Thanks in Advance,
Akhlesh.

just write an e mail to the registrar with the Subject line as Loss of share certificate and Ref as your Folio no …