How was your trading experience this year? What worked and what didn't?

2022 was a roller-coaster ride in the markets. How was your trading experience this year? What worked and what didn’t?

My trading was just a nice steady decent. Thank God not a roller-coaster ride for me. Hoping for a climb next year, but you know what they hope is not a good term in markets.

I dont have anything that worked as nothing worked. But i did learn a lot. Hoping to not make the same mistakes i made this year again in the next. Let’s see where this journey takes me.

My best year so far in terms of both learnings and earnings.

What worked - Focusing more on research and process and executing the plan. Getting to learn more on Macro analysis.

What didn’t work - managing bigger capital and Greed at times. Being slightly bullish biased makes it bit tricky during bearish and sideways trends.

3 Likes

Decent year, best in money terms due to higher capital ( compounding is great … )

This year intraday shorts with trend had a really hard time, probably the worst year in the last decade. Buy the dips eroded most of the edge. Good thing about tough env is that it can push you into looking at things in new ways and improving. Longs did well and made most of the money for my main trend following system.

Started testing stock futures, had a tough time and had to tone it down a bit for now. Hopefully will make it work next year with both of the systems and then finally can move on to new ones.

1 Like

Overall a slightly negative year. Could have been lot worse

• biggest issue was winning was small and losses were huge so most of the time, it was about catching up.
1 Like

I sometimes feel luck plays a huge factor in our trading journey. I’ve had this experience too. No matter how much i tried some stocks and indices never give me money.

@GB26 @jashjacob @Jason_Castelino @joyesh @Akash_Shah @Parth111 @neha1101 @AlgoEye @t7support @VijayNair & all other fellow community friends …how was your year 2022?

PS : can only tag 10 people. Others pls don’t mind :smiley:

1 Like

Investing wise good, trading wise mixed results, the last few days have been unexpected, which in fact made me look at options.

And I cannot say this is what I have learnt in 2022, but I am definitely a better investor and a trader compared to last year, there has been much learning and good progress. Still evolving as time goes by.

Hope the learning and progress continue, and I will be a better participant than what I am now.

And it is good to be to in the markets, so to the markets :beers:

1 Like

What was great this year:

1. Regulation wise it was really very good for my business whatever steps Regulators has taken build great confidence and trust in the system. Able to deploy full capital.
  2. Low beta strategies ( Low ROI) really worked well in this Volatile environment.
  3. Due to regulations ,ample liquidity and small market cycle it really good for both investors and traders like me get me ample opportunity for entry and exit.
  4. Was backtesting this year coin toss strategies( 50%-50% probablity trades), the probabilities are very close to 50% which is good sign that algo trades have further increased. Skews are getting off due to system trades.

Not great:

1. Had to scratch off lot of systems due to regulatory changes ,IPO,Gamma/Del moves ,overnight system etc.
  2. Stocks selection for investing .
  3. Interest rates hikes skewed some Debt instruments returns.

Overall I had a great year for the business and for personality/psychology development.

Wish you all very productive , prosperous 2023 ahead!

I always see at portfolio level because my long term holding and short term trading are linked.
So the way I see it is always at account value which is on the dashboard of console.

Excellent year for me. I couldn’t ask for anything better. I didn’t check the exact value of nifty as on Jan 1 but I don’t think nifty has given more than 3 to 5 percent return this calendar year. So I have outperformed the index and that’s all that I target for. Added 42percent in terms of value this CY. :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

Was a good Year…30% return as option Seller

2 Likes

I don’t trade stocks. On the equity segment, I am exclusively on the index options. Luck whichever field we are in, tends to find us if we are persistent for a fair amount of time.

Am a systematic trader - code, backtest, deploy is my approach. Discretionary would work but I need to do more chart gazing, spending significant period of time every market day. Among all that life throws at me it ain’t easy. Moreover if I do it for a long period of time it will start to take a toll on my health. This is a fact I learned the very first year I came in to market. Since then its only systematic. The good thing this year I have gone fully automatic since I switched to Dhan.

This FY am sitting at 17% on my capital on my bread and butter positional nifty option buying strategy with a quarter to go.

I have also developed couple of automated sell strategies for personal consumption along with intraday Nifty and Banknnifty intraday trend following option buying strategies. Also dived in to commodities in trend following mode in semi automated fashion. In the process of testing and automation of all these, I lost few lakhs but gained back all that by last week with all the strategies firing well. The coming quarter am hoping to have good returns from all these strategies. The goal behind developing all these is to cut down the time it will take for me to go trading for a living.

Thats pretty much how this FY went till now on personal trading front.

How are you guys calculating returns so accurately? As I keep adding/ withdrawing funds to/from my account, it’s almost impossible for me to track my annual returns on starting capital/ incremental investments. Is there a more simpler way to calculate this (any online tool etc) than downloading kite ledger and doing all the excel work?

1 Like

Doesn’t P&L window in Console show a good estimate on this.
Otherwise you will have to maintain a journal or something.

2 Likes

I calculate XIRR. So my return calculation is on the account basis. This will include realised and unrealised gains and losses.

Can’t use this. My margin comes from pledging debt funds and I never sell debt funds to realise profits. So it won’t come in PL.

Congrats @Sujith_K_R

Incredible as always :fire::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Awesome stuff @t7support

Thanks @Prakashsingh. I assume you are a discretionary trader…Am I right?

I don’t trade. Most of my investements are systematic.
Frankly I don’t measure or look at my portfolio frequently. so this year was like any other year for me :slight_smile: