If I transfer shares from my account to a family member's account, how much time does it take for the shares to be transferred?

If I want to transfer shares form my demat to my wife’s (both in Zerodha), how much time does it take? Is there any tax that she has to pay or any transfer charges? Also, if I’ve held the shares for a year, is the holdings age changed from 1 year to a fresh holding on transfer?

So, firstly, I presume you’ll be doing this through a DIS? The transfer should be done within the end of the day you submit the DIS.

DIS or delivery instruction slip is like a cheque book that you can get from Zerodha. You can mention the target DP ID and stocks to be transferred,and send this DIS slip back to Zerodha.

There’s a charge of Rs. 25 or 0.03% of the value, whichever is higher for these transfers.

If you are gifting this to your immediate family (Parents, wife, kids), the person who receives the share will have to pay capital gain tax once they sell (if any applicable).

If you are transferring to anyone else, this transfer will need to be for a consideration. Whatever money you receive, you will have to pay taxes (as per your normal Slab) on this. Normal taxes because this transfer was done off exchange. The person who receives the share, the cost price will be what was acquired from you, and then whenever they sell it on the exchange.

1 Like

If I transfer the share from my account after holding more than 1 year to an immediate family member and they sell it only after 1 year, do the person selling need to pay long-term capital gain based on what purchase price - (sell amount - price on transfer date) Or (sell amount - actual purchase date before the transfer)

also whether the long-term capital gain will be paid by me or my family member(who is not a salaried person - invested only in stocks) if held more than a year after transfer

@ShubhS9 @Rathan_Kottary @mohitmehra @TRADE_Z @India_Time_Live @zerohedge

How can i transfer shares from KARVY(NSDL) to ZERODHA(CDSL)?

please help me

Mahesh, the process has been explained here: Account holders of Karvy

@ShubhS9 i registered CDSL easiest,but i’m unable to find KARVY IN CDSL for transfer,please help me

@ShubhS9 KARVY through NSDL,HOW TO cdsl?

The process to transfer shares from NSDL Demat account has been explained here:

@ShubhS9 i’m unable to find KARVY BOID

@ShubhS9 @mohitmehra @zerohedge

please help me

Hey Mahesh, you will have to follow the process given here to transfer shares from your Karvy NSDL Demat account:

i’m already sent CMR COPY YO KARVY, 1 month going,still now shares not transfered

@ShubhS9 lease reply

You should get in touch with Karvy to know the status.

please,if u have KARVY contact details

1 Like

I do not have contact details for Karvy but you can also raise your query to NSDL, contact details are mentioned here.

@ShubhS9 from morning onwards CONSOLE NOT WORKING,I’M UNABLE BID FOR IPO,any info about that?

@tradingmachine @TradZero @nikhilk @zerodhahero @zerodha123 @Dreamhouse_Construct