If zerodha(demat) account can be opened online why not nomination declaration?

I recently noticed a problem with the new online accounts opened for my brother, wife and a friends. All of them do not have a nominee.

While we have completely automated online account opening process, why does the nomination process require us to seperately fill and sign a form and send it via courier. Can this be handled in a better way Please @nithin.

I have read through the “Procedure for transmission of shares and funds upon the death of an account holder at Zerodha” and it seems to be very very tedious even for a well educated member of my family to get the funds transferrred if nominee is not present.

I am pretty sure most recent 75% online accounts holders do not have a nominee and most of the account holders aren’t even aware of this or do not know that they can declare a nominee for thier demat account.

Zerodha should find an easy way to let the existing account holders declare a nominee without having people to courier a manually filled form. If possible run a drive to make people aware to declare a nominee. Also, I think everyone should be asked to submit atleast one nominee during the account opening process itself. Is this possible to implement ?

4 Likes

In fact it should’ve been an option in their app to add nominee. May be they can charge a sum, as they are aready doing , in case if someone wants to change their nominee. But adding it first time should be free and easy. When I registered with Zerodha they had asked me to courier the documents initially but I did not sent any. I left that as it is and later after few months I got notified that my account is active. I believe by that time they had made that process online and they onboarded my account too.
So this one should also be easy and made an online process in stead of doing all this manual work.

There was a regulatory hurdle that prevented brokers from accepting account nominee forms online. I found this mentioned in a tweet -

Also found a similar thing mentioned in another broker’s website -

But now things have changed (likely due to the pandemic) and adding account nominee online has been allowed as I saw the following tweet recently -

2 Likes

Thanks @Prayag for finding these tweet’s.
It’s great that online method to add a nominee is being worked on … Intially I thought that the process was left out from the online process for some other reason, but now it’s clear it was a regualtory hurdle.

I have added a comment on the tweet to get an estimate timeline for this feature(online nominations) to go live

It would be great to know what’s the timeline for this feature to get live, from zerodha support folks.

2 Likes

we’re working on an online method to add a nominee to your account.

Can nominee be added online now?

We’re working on making this process online.

1 Like

@ShubhS9

When will adding nominee online be active?

If Nominee is not added, who gets control of the shares in the Demat?

Need online nomination option especially during this pandemic time when nominiation / change in nomination is required especially if your dear on whom you had nominated expired. This will become a big issue with lot of procedural hassels.
If we can change the primary bank account linked to Demat account online through digital signature. Why not permit similar option for nomination / nomination change.

@ShubhS9 any updates / timeline ?

We’re working on it, Kalpesh. We’ll keep you posted :slightly_smiling_face:

This is true. I just noticed account does not have a nominee. Only found that after looking at CDSL statement.

It does not show anywhere in zerodha console that Nominee is not registered.

Thanks for adding this discussion. Its most important yet not given priority. I have been waiting for this.

I recently understood that this is not done in my account, since then i am not really confident to invest more in DEMAT currently, thinking about how much hardship it takes if death situation arrives! May be overthinking.

[Off topic] I frankly not sure of complete scenario of how nominee(considering it is available) will get the ownership of demat securities holdings considering no knowledge about all this. What is legal way of ensuring this? Do zerodha has any such services that takes initiative and provide necessary guidelines on the arrival of news?

1 Like

@ShubhS9 any update/timeline…?
Its been a month

1 Like

Any updates on this yet?

@ShubhS9 2 months have gone by…any updates ? when is it going live ?

1 Like

https://www.sebi.gov.in/legal/circulars/jul-2021/nomination-for-eligible-trading-and-demat-accounts_51313.html

SEBI has also mentioned in this circular about online nomination . @ShubhS9 Any ETA for this functionality to fill nominee online ?

Also this is mandatory now!!

"Further, all existing eligible trading and demat account holders shall provide choice of nomination as per the option given in paragraph 2 above, on or before March 31, 2022, failing which the trading accounts shall be frozen for trading and demat account shall be frozen for debits. "

Will be available soon, Amresh :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What is the deadline ? Pl do not say anytime soon. Its already been 8 months since the discussion started in the thread…? and 3.5 months since it was confirmed that Zerodha is working on it.

Feeling let down

Thankyou @nithin / Zerodha team for adding the online nomination facility. For those who dont know about it, this is the documentation link: Introducing online nomination – Z-Connect by Zerodha Z-Connect by Zerodha

I think this thread can be closed now… Thanks again for all those involved in the efforts to get this live. Your efforts will be appreciated by so many nominees.

2 Likes