I'm glad that Zerodha is financially strong in a challenging environment. But why the change in minimum brokerage?

Same with me too… That small change has huge impact on small retail traders… So many friends are looking for other platform

1 Like

@nithin @siva @Bhuvan Why is Currency brokerage calculator showing brokerage as 40?

because it shows the brokerage for both sides, i.e., buy and sell. 20 for buy + 20 for sell = 40 overall brokerage

1 Like

40 is 20 for buy and 20 for sell. Remove the number in either the buy/sell box to see brokerage for just one trade.

1 Like

Last 20days I was paid 15000rs due to increase brokerage rate. Small investor very difficult to get profit.

1 Like

If you’re scalping or heavy intraday trading, then I’d suggest you to consider unlimited plan. I’m currently trading with Finvasia on zero brokerage basis and save much.

you mean for stocks, options , commodities for intraday no brokerage? only exchange fees ,STT etc . No GST as no brokerage?

Yes zero brokerage for all segments, so no GST on brokerage. Although there are other charges with include GST. Rest, STT, SEBI fees etc stands.

how much are other charges…annual?

Thanks. I checked their twitter fed . Indeed no brokerage except stt,echange fees GST on them + stamp duty. but there are many complaints from many customers about scalper app freezing etc. you trade via Nest or their scalping desktop app? how long you are with finvasia?also a/c opening not paperless like zerodha & looks like taking long time. Any idea on kotak 999₹ fes intraday free comission ? 10-20 trades a day small lot say 100-200 shares ona ₹400 rs stock for 1-2 $ each time (where 0.03% is more tha ₹20 on side)means Iam spending ₹400-800 on commission +GST in gst . where 50% of my profit goes in charges.

why did zerodha increased brokergae from 0.01% to 0.03%
it will very costly to small traders with smllaer qty , who wants to learn
will it be reduced back to 0.01% in future ???
pllz answer???

Answered here

No AMC charge. But if you want to enable Bracket order, then 99/month

Yes I heard it, I mostly use NEST (desktop) so no problem. I’ve been using for maybe two years, I lost the count, used NOW and BEST platform earlier but moved to NEST. My a/c was opened paperless, later I register poa paper via courier.

Kotak 999 is not a one time but annually, plus there’s AMC attached to it. Otherwise it’s good, can’t tell much since I mostly use Finvasia

Does nest work fine for you there or you also use scalpert.

Thanks. NEST in desktop works fine for me. may be I will open with Finvasia as a secondary a/c (with out closing zerodha ) & see how it works.

Yes, NEST works most of the time, just few freeze quotes occurred but that’s too rare.

Yes, I’m still using zerodha for chart and trade in finvasia NEST

Mr Nitin;
I think you should reconsider your decision to increase the brokerage due to the following reasons:-

1. new and small trader will find it hard to come in profit as they are still struggling to gain knowledge about market
    2)as soon as these small and new trader starts getting in profit the brokerage generated by them will also increase.
    If you think these small traders are using your network resources without generating substantial brokerage then you should reconsider as these traders as your investment .
  2. you are the largest broker of India and a trend setter and if you due some thing than others brokers will also starts following
  3. you aim to create market awareness in India will also get a small hit
  4. increase in brokerage will only effect the small trader like your admin square of charges as big trader will not mind paying rs.50 extra for squaring of their trades
  5. lastly how you were able to service these small traders when you were new in the brokerage business?
    Your are becoming like jio as after getting substantial market share they also started increasing tariff and after that others operators also started increasing tariff forcing the customer to pay higher than the previous tariff.

Posting below the reasons given by Nithin to change brokerage.

Dear Mr. Nithin,
We were happy as customers since I have been using Zerodha since 2018 and since then whenever I trade the brokerage was low i.e. 0.01% and now when you have increased it to 0.03%, whether as per you it’s a small amount and negligible increase in terms of number but in terms of growth it’s 200% increase I hope you understand that much math. And when you are justifying this move in order to capacite your infrastructure upgradation and order handling by your servers, why the increase was made during COVID-19 pandemic time? Why not before? Is it to get salaries and revenues for your employess from your customers when your customers are too affected due to COVID-19 situations and their businesses and jobs were lost for 2 months straight? Do you think small traders and traders with no income are able to cope up with this increase?

By the way you are always “good” at justifying your moves whether it’s downtime with your servers or its increase in brokerage charges but justifying your move with excuses isn’t always the solution.

I don’t know whether you or your team handles your account to reply but you should seriously reconsider this decision and lower the rates again. This will be your loss eventually as traders will lower their trading in order to get the brokerage low. I wonder how come you haven’t thought about this? When you thought about making revenues from increased brokerage charges.

Think long term my friend and make good decisions and not justifying decisions. The decision you make should be good so as not to be justified later. Justifying every time is going to be backfired at you instead. Because there’s a saying “The more the lies or fake, the more is the justification”.

Have a good time Sir…

Since zerodha has increased their brokerage its been hard to make money for small traders who trades in small quantities but diversify in equities to minimise risk.
Now expenditure in zerodha is thrice as much brokerage than other discount brokers.
I will show comparison between aliceblue and zerodha.
And you won’t believe zerodhas expenses are very much higher than Alice or other discount brokers.
Hope @nithin would have think for small traders before raising brokerage from 0.01 to 0.03%.

Alice brokerage for an script of 500 with 140 quality is Rs 14 only whereas for same script with similar quality in zerodha its Rs 40.

@nithin, I know zerodha will not roll back to initial brokerage plan but I hope it would continue with that plan for the benefit of small traders.

Thanks