Impact cost of stray ticks on market open

Hello , @siva

how much do stray ticks affect the price in liquid contracts - lets say NIFTY and BANKNIFTY F&O ?

Those contracts are extremely liquid , so will stray ticks still have large deviations from the current price or will it be limited to 2-3% of current price?

ALL ASSUMING TRADES ARE PLACED AT 9:15 OPEN.

Thank you.

There is no definitive answer to this, sometimes there can be 3 to 4 % away also. For options it can be much more, so it is recommended to place orders after seeing market depth at opening time.

Okay , understood . @siva

But are large deviations in stray ticks at least reflected in the price chats or is that gone undetected ?

Maybe missed on charts but will be detected on market depth OHLC. You can refer them.

What about for 1 min OHLC , is there any way to observe the deviations in that ? @siva

Can’t guarantee, usually at open it happens, we capture open but if it happens during the day it maybe missed on charts.

Yes yes , I am only talking about the Opening price stray ticks at 9:15 for NIFTY and BANK NIFTY F&O.

Do the stray ticks get captured in charts at 9:15am (1 min OHLC) ?
If not 100% , at least majority of it? @siva

Yes, we do.

Okay , so analysing the first 9:15 1 min candle in detail could give me a ball park figure of how the stray ticks deviate from price , right ? @siva

Yeah but not sure how do we know what should be the actual price, especially for options.

I mean , If at 9:15 Open we place a market order

and for the first 1 min candle at 9:15 the OHLC is 100 , 105 , 95 , 99.

Given Zerodha’s efficient charting software ,
could we say the range at which our market order will executed will roughly be between 95 and 105???

@siva

Not possible for now but will check on this.

Please check and let me know ,
I’m doing a backtest for a couple of strategies and entry at open is preferred. So just wanted to gauge what would be the impact cost.

This may take more time, no ETA.

No issues , I just want a rough estimate of the range in which a market order at open could be executed ,

as I mentioned earlier , If the High - 105 and low - 95 is for the first minute of market open , will a market order on open be executed at a price that lies between 105 and 95?

Obviously It is difficult to give concrete answers in the stock market , but I’m just working on estimations and approximations.