Index Fund vs ETFs?

Should I Invest in Niftybees ETF or HDFC Index S&P BSE Sensex Fund, if I’m looking to invest for 10+ years?

p.s. I already have a demat account.

1 Like

Depends on whether you want your investment to mimic Nifty or Sensex :slight_smile:
Better would have been to compare a Nifty ETF with Nifty index fund (or other way round)

Jokes apart, frankly it does not matter. Go ahead and start investing. On like to like basis, difference in return should be minimum and is not worth wasting time.

In general, I would suggest, if it is one time investment go ahead and buy ETFs. If you plan to do it in recurring basis, go for index fund

@Akash_Shah

In general, I would suggest, if it is one time investment go ahead and buy ETFs. If you plan to do it in recurring basis, go for index fund

Any particular reason?

No particular reason as such. More of convenience.

Setting up recurring buy order in ETF is difficult, you would have to manually do it every month. Setting up a SIP for index fund is easy. Hence I prefer Index fund for recurring investments.

On the other hand, ETF does have a small cost advantage (as expense ratios are slightly lower). So for one time lumpsums, I generally go with ETFs.
But you need to be careful when placing order as depending on liquidity, price might be far from NAV.

Again, this is my thought process. As I said before, the difference is not really much to worry so much about making a choice between two