Is day trading profitable?

If it makes you feel good, I have have lost much more than that in a day :wink: plenty of times.

Enjoy :smiley:

3 Likes

The price series plotted on a chart (indexed to 100) tells me the stock is in a downtrend as per the classic Dow theory of TA (series of lower lows and lower highs). :slight_smile:

1 Like

99% make money in investing? Where did you get this stat from?

Just buy index and hold for 5 years. Take any 5 years. Even if you had bought at the highest level within next 5 years you will get a new ATH.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean you make real returns (greater than inflation).

That still doesn’t say 99% make money in investing. Please verify facts before you quote them.

Who is even speaking about real returns here? With trading do we speak about real returns?
And as a matter of fact, nifty beats inflation.

This is my opinion. But now that I think about it, I think I was wrong. Sorry Sir. Actually 99.99% of them make money in investing. :love_you_gesture:

The words “I think” and “my opinion” says it all. Please don’t pass them on as facts.

In trading we don’t talk (generally speaking) real returns because trading in not for wealth creation. It is for income gneration. Investing is for wealth creation thus real returns is a must.

This discussion about trading vs investing is funny. I cannot say which is better as both have their pros and cons. Its all about which suits you. I do both. I’m a full time trader (trading to pay bills type) and MF investor (I’m also a MFD but that income is not big enough for me to not depend on trading income). For anyone interested I’m an option buyer.

I’m not going to honour this discussion by sending more replies. This is my last one.

All the best. Have a great life.

3 Likes

Will you take a medicine that kills 9 out of 10 those who take it?

Will you ride an aeroplane model that gets crashed 9 out of 10 times ?

Will you lend money to a person who has cheats 9 out of his lenders?

No.

But when it comes to FNO and day trading , Greed takes over and switches off Rational mind. In FNO and day trading 9/10 lose money and the 1 who doesn’t loses makes only peanuts. But still retail traders love it.

Why this happens? Why traders using Technical Analysis enter FNO?

The answer is simple : Dunning-Kruger effect which is a cognitive bias in which people with limited or no competence significantly overestimate their abilities.

If you think you will be not part of 9 out of 10 but will be in top 1% you are victim of Dunning-Kruger effect.

IMG_20240518_113515

@apple
Not only trading, with anything that is worth competing in, you will find that only 5-10% (often lesser) make it good. Almost any business. Rest should find their own area of expertise instead of complaining and wallowing…

2 Likes

You can’t compare Trading via Technical Analysis to any other vocation because prices are random and random data can’t be used to predict anything. Technical Analysts are like ancient Chinese who threw cattle bones and then found patterns on them and based on them made decisions like whether to start a war or not. Children see patterns like humans, elephants, birds in clouds. Technical Analysts see Support, Resistance, Crossover, Cup and Handles.

Singing, Surgery, Carpentry, Painting all are skills that can be acquired . Technical Analysis is like throwing bones or seeing elephants in clouds.

You can’t, but I can.
Besides- I am talking of trading as a whole, stop being obsessed with TA in isolation :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Read about Dunning-Kruger effect.

1 Like

Making good increasing money year after year is proof enough. Having to pay more and more income tax too.

1 Like

There are those who make money day trading.
There are those who don’t.

And there are those who sit in the middle, and keep researching about it.

Just do it. You ll know where you fit in day trading.

Same thing can be said about winning Lottery. Some people even win multiple lottery.

Mathematician David Aronson backtested 6,400 technical analysis tools over 25 years and finds that not a single one of them offered higher returns than long term investing in S&P 500.

In fact Technical Analysts actually lost money when adjusted for Taxes, Commissions , Risk and Effort.

1 Like

So much knowledge, and so little wisdom!

You are being deliberately dishonest seeking/projecting confirmation bias.
What the author claims is that TA doesn’t have predictive power, and doesn’t outperform under many circumstances.

My trading is a lil multi-faceted, and I am not purely into ‘directional’ trading, but either ways, let me try to explain to you in the simplest means. Even if the baseline returns are say only 50-70% of buy and hold ( ignoring the fact that there are ways to outperform by adopting multiple instruments and scrips), traders can amplify it with leverage, and yes leverage is a doubled edged sword that only the very best can tame. Plus there are “Options” that allows one to be invested while trading.

2 Likes

How conveniently you missed the next figure on very next page. The biggest returns were gathered by very few rules and still they underperformed SP. Even the best of best TA rules failed to beat S&P when you account for the Taxes, Transaction Cost and Effort that is involved.

This is a bell curve and you just pointed at fat tail while ignoring the whole bell.

Note : The average yearly return of the S&P 500 is 10.47% over the last 30 years.

IMG_20240519_152829_715

These are not people but technical indicators/rules, including the most basic silly trivial ones.

Btw with trading you can also trade multiple scrip/instruments and thereby not waste time waiting for setups (a key factor)

And I already told you how the best traders can amplify even small returns.

Can’t type much on mobile…

Man, what are you doing on this forum :joy: