Is day trading profitable?

Yes, it is profitable. But you should have correct trading psychology to handle the emotions. There is a huge difference between day trading and any other type of trading. You have to fight in the market every day, its not going to be the same battle every day. As Sun Tzu, mentioned in his book Art of War, “Sometimes we need to lose the small battles in order to win the war”.

Some times you might end up making losses continuously but it doesn’t matter unless and until you follow your trading rules. But balancing your emotions during such time is more important, with day trading it is easy to lose confidence as the market is more volatile in lower time frames, we should be able to filter the noise to avoid trading some days. It is not necessary to trade every day in markets to be profitable.

You should treat day trading just like any other profession. Let me illustrate with an example.

You would have witnessed these people who sell stuffs near traffic signals. Daily 100s and 1000s of car pass by each day, and these people try selling the product every time the signal goes Red. Some times, they are able to sell it and many times they would not be able to sell it before the signal turns green. All they have is just few minutes of time in between Red and Green signal.

Have you ever wondered how they are able to keep showing by each day in the same signal and able to sell successfully? It’s because the odds favor them, more no of vehicles is nothing but more no of customers, instead of opening a small shop near by road and sitting there and waiting for customers, he just stands near traffic signal and turns every car into a customer.

That’s how you should consider Day trading as well. Just like the guy who sells near traffic signal;

• He faces lot of rejection from customers - You would see lot of losing trades.
  • He have to pitch in sales every time signal turns red - You have to place trades every time when your trading system says so.
  • He never losses hope even if he is not able to sell a single product for next 10 red signals because he believes he can sell the product next time - similarly, if market doesn’t go in your favor, you may end up making continues losses, will face drawdown but keep faith in your trading system and believe that you would eventually make profit out of it.

Once you have the necessary trading psychology to handle day trading environment, nothing can stop you.

Everybody would be happy as long as the boat sails good, the moment a storm hits it, only thing people would think about is “How fast we are going to sink” , but there are few experienced people who understands the market, knows that these storms are normal and it would eventually pass by soon and the smooth sail would resume soon. Those are the people who make it big in trading profession, others just go broke. That is the kind of mindset you should have to be a profitable trader.

Do not keep on looking for that secret strategy to make profit, instead just start with what you know, make mistakes, learn from it, adapt to market environments, learn about yourself, trade with the money you are comfortable with, manage your emotions well, that’s it. Keep repeating the process. Eventually you will make it big, just remember that Day trading is simple but not easy.

10 Likes

Do you have any hard data to prove or suggest that day trading is profitable?

if not, please do not post such BS posts.

2 Likes

Really? Was it necessary?

1 Like

Want to be acceptable in this new era, say only positive things even if you know it is BS,

1 Like

I am profitable for last few years and have been working on trading for almost a decade.

What he wrote is more or less how it works for me. Perhaps you do need to reduce expectations too as things can get tough. Basically, trading works in probabilistic way and there is a lot of randomness in short term. And there is always some level of uncertainty.

But just because day trading ( or any trading) can work does not mean it works for everyone. Most lose. So in addition, you do need an edge, a good enough edge - without which all else is pointless. No amount of psych work or market understanding will help. hence the negative response.

9 Likes

I have read hunderes of quotes
but when I’ve to mention even a few…my brain goes numb
maybe I suck?

after having too much of them! I can definetely say “Quotes are nothing but reality presented in nicely different way”

1 Like

Will this quote make you hit the gym?
Quotes might ignite a small spark. But motivation seldom last. That’s why people make lots of new year resolutions just to abandon days later.

Hitting the gym. getting a run at 5am, will keep you in shape. Despite knowing these facts, will you get up at 5, and make the runs daily, 7 days a week, the month and the year after.

There will be a number of days, you feel like not taking the run and yet you take the run. Not everyone is designed like that. The morning pillow is too comfy vs the chilly morning outside.

So @trader_dude opinions is likely expressing himself, if he calls someone full of shit, this is his opinion and what he has experience so far. @KirubaKaran you might have experience something that made you write what you wrote.

To make something last you have to make it your own. You have to own scars, deep and narrow to tell a tale. Trading is making our own narrative.

If you are one of the person who doubt if day trading works, then it will certainly not work for you. And no one needs to prove anything here.

The market is insane enough that if you keep your sanity alive, everything works. The point is, what is your story here and how shallow and low you can go to make the runs everyday.

Trading is not just about trading. It’s about you. If people get consumed by it, it’s because they play more than their experience should allow.

They forget it’s a skill. And skill takes time. You can’t run one fine morning, or lift a weight and expect a nice toned body. You have to hit the ground, the dirt, till the routine becomes you.

Not the nicest analogy but @KirubaKaran was surely hinting at these.

3 Likes

my friends do not let this fool you…remember thumbsup is nothing but coke’s spinoff

1 Like

?
where is this heading?

1 Like

Trading is super simple and easy. It started with a belief. Now its a reality.

Very true. One has to believe to become.

2 Likes

My futures trades last 1-3 days and are profitable. The ones that last less than a day are often the ones I nip off quick to cut losses. Longs are easier than Shorts, but shorts smoothen the curve overall.

Did you know? Since 1997, 63% of the time market has opened higher :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter. Because when it opens down…its usually way big gap down compared to when it opens gap up.
(Its like…you can still lose money even if you are 63% of time right if you lose more than you win).

2 Likes

Are these without hedge ?

Here’s 2 more.

1. Overwhelmingly when it gaps down, the intraday returns are positive for the day
  2. There are 1.5x more gap-up days than gap down
1 Like

Yes. No hedge. But on 15min TF and system based. So drawdowns are less.

2 Likes

If you have conviction on this data and have been able to remove all your emotions and taking trades based on this, then I guess you would be one of the greatest trader in India.

3 Likes

I have seen the data and yes it has made the Longs easier for me. But I don’t trade based only on this ofc. It is the discretionary traders who need more emotional strength. Systematic trades require less emotional resilience (as long as the system works :stuck_out_tongue: and the backtest is robust.)

2 Likes

Where do you do your backtests, some software ?

Do you use Algo or enter trades manually ?

Pine script. Use alerts, but I enter trade manually.

A Long/Short system really helps instead of Long only imo . The shorts might be flat or slightly negative in a bullish year, but keeps the flag up in bad periods.

3 Likes

Any trading is profitable if you learned and practiced enough.

2 Likes