Is there any way to use TOTP for multiple accounts across multiple devices?

Saw a mail from Zerodha mentioning that going forward it will be compulsory to use App code in Kite app or TOTP to login to Kite web. I manage multiple accounts and devices and this process is cumbersome. Is there any way I can use TOTP across multiple devices for same account?

Yeah, you can do this and its very easy. I too manage my and my sisters accounts and had switched to TOTP long back to secure accounts. Just follow the steps explained below and you are set…

• Login to Kite web, go to Profile/Settings > Password and security and click on enable external TOTP.

• Once you do this, you will get OTP on your registered email id, enter it and you will see a QR code to scan.

• This is where you can set up TOTP across multiple devices. All you have to do is download TOTP app and scan this QR code from the devices you want TOTP access on.

• Once you have done this you will see TOTP across the devices and can use it to log in.

Also the process of setting TOTP for multiple accounts on same device is simple too. All you have to do is open the TOTP app > add new account and repeat the step.

You can check this support article to know how to set up TOTP:

2 Likes

This solution is different from what above reply has suggested but hope this too helps.

Have been handling my and my wife’s account for a while now and logging in with password and pin was smooth. But since i got to know that the new regulation mandates us to use TOTP for both accounts i was worried that my smooth experience would be broken. TOTP does makes our accounts more secure, so i was okay with the positive change. But i wanted to make sure the smooth login and logout to both accounts wasn’t affected.

I and my wife have SBI bank account where in 2FA was mandated and SBI sends SMS OTP to phone as the second factor. But the problem with phone OTP is that you would always have to have access to both phones. Zerodha not opting for SMS OTP as the second factor makes sense, so that’s a bit of relief.

I looked up and there were a few password manager applications which allowed us to store the password as well as generate TOTP for the account. I created an account on dashlane, added login details of both accounts as well as TOTP on dashlane mobile app for both accounts. I tested the login into kite mobile app and it was working. I have created a gif for reference :point_down:

ezgif.com-gif-maker

Dashlane also has a website and a browser extension. I immediately logged in to web and the extension, the auto fill feature solved the problem of logging into kite web.

This kind of solves the problem of peope logging into multiple accounts. There are other password management apps such as keeper which also offer this free of cost.

2 Likes