Late tax return penalty

Will someone be charged penalty if he is voluntarily submitting his return after due date if his taxable income is zero.
For example for F.Y 2017-18 if I file tax return tomorrow on 8 March 2019 , will I incur penalty if don’t have taxable income.

INR 1,000/- in this case. Refer sec. 234F below:
https://incometaxindia.gov.in/Acts/Finance%20Acts/2017/102120000000064631.htm

1 Like

Now the due date is extended to 31st DEC 21 , still in October when i went to finalize my ITR i see 5000/- late fee (234F) added! IS not that wrong, I had just delayed the filing to take some more time reviewing ITR3 i am preparing myself first time!

1 Like

Maybe the I-T department has not updated the forms.

Hi @RanjanZ ,

Late Fee u/s 234F is levied when the return is filed after the due date.

Recently there was some glitch in the Income Tax utility that showed late filing fees even though the due date is extended to 31st December 2021.

However, the same is resolved in the newer version of Income Tax utilities. You may try the latest utilities released by the IT Department.

Hope it helps!

That helps, new utility did not show that late fee. Now facing another issue.

My tax liability is say 4.50 lakhs and I have paid 4.25 lakhs. Then payable amount should be 25K but I see that it lists 25k under refund section. Is not something wrong with the utility?

To add to it, If I try to pay tab from offline utility then it lands on a page not found error (404). Wonder why Infosys has such low standard of development and how they reached that height. I too work in IT field and deal with business logic and never allow such kind of error. Offline utility also updated my draft on online and when i attempted to resume that in hope that online system will show correct payable amout then it just stops with “Something went wrong”. Really feeling bad for Infy!!