Limit order and execution when there is zero volume

I have a question about limit order and execution of orders when there is no volume or low volume
Question:- what if ABC share currently trading at 100 and there are no buyers or sellers and I put a limit order of 1000 shares at 90 rs. And after sometime volume increases in that share and price drops to 96 and at 95 there are 1000 sellers and 1000 buyers(entered after my placing my limit order) and I modify my order at 95 rs. So, there are total 1000 sellers and 2000 buyers at 95 so the question is whose order will be executed first?

It will be first in first out. All orders at that price before your order gets executed first.

You’re right it works on first come first served basis but what about time priority I entered before that buyers and I modified my order before the price touches 95.

@Aliasgar_Bhojani if you modify the order,you will loose ur time priority and and you order will be filled later on.

Orders at the exchange are executed on price-time priority basis. When an order is submitted, it receives a timestamp that determines its priority. Orders are then executed based on the order in which they were received, following a first come, first served basis.

When you modify your order, it’ll get a new timestamp and it’ll be queued behind the already placed orders at that price.

1 Like

Thanks! For your reply.

Can you please solve this question of mine.

The share of IDEA is moving now in a range of 13.25 - 13.30. If I place a limit order to buy 5000 shares at 13.25. and price touches the price simultaneously. So, my order will be fulfilled or not in zerodha

You should also give what is the volume waiting at 13.25 when you placed the trade, if there is for ex 10000 volume already sitting then your order will be executed after 10k quantity is completed, this is same across any brokers/exchanges worldwide.