Lithium reserves found in India for the first time

For the first time, lithium reserves were found in India.

First look, this is a good news for industries esp batteries, EV. Finer details need to be studied though.

But the reserve number is definitely high

I’ve always wondered despite being one of the richest countries when it comes to natural resources why we have lagged behind other countries.

I don’t know if it’s related to costs involved in discovering such reserves or some other.

What do you think?

2 Likes

That’s great new. Big news for the govt.

Lithium is a very important and rare material used in batteries.

So how can we take advantage of this? Stocks recommendations?

Lithium = New oil

Lithium is the key component in manufacturing of EV batteries.
As of now, total lithium resources with China are 5.1 MT and with the USA 7.9 MT. The Jammu & Kashmir discovery of 5.9 MT, if the GSI calculation is correct, could be a game changer not only for the UT but also for the country.

The first right of benefit must be J&K’s.

Earlier In 2021, Lithium deposits worth 1600 T found in Mandya, Karnataka but they were not commercially viable.

Detailed image of production and Operators across the world

Do Lithium reserves serve our interest.? Or can we call it a backup plan.!
The reason being Lithium harvesting is a time taking and expensive process, not to forget a polluting process too.

1 Like

EV play stocks like autos must be kept on radar. Even battery stocks. Lithium is a key raw material component.

1 Like

Yeah, I already got Amaraja & Exide in my portfolio.

Good news.

But even more reason for India-Pak standoff…
Plus pok will be now swamped with the search for Li.

1 Like

Jammu & Kashmir is a goldmine in every sense of the word . China’s CPEC project was precisely to exploit these resources.

Will adani power buy it? Or which adani company will buy it?

1 Like

This is great news! Now discovery, is one thing, extracting is another thing.

Fingers crossed, as this is going to help India become one of the top producers then. I just hope we don’t export much and instead use it for domestic purposes. But capitalism will kick in, so let’s see!

Anyone have an idea which company could be doing the mining and extracting? NMDC?

Game changer for indigenous EV industry.

And just when you thought we had a solution, came across this…

Sodium Ion as an alternative, and cheaper.

Sodium batteries atleast till now have lower recharge cycles and lower energy density. But Sodium is more abundant and hence attractive over Lithium. So with Lithium reserves found in India migration to sodium may not happen anytime soon.

3 Likes

Some interesting reads on the above topic:

2 Likes

So Govt just needs to employ the pretty ones I suppose :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Still tea is far away from the lips.

2 Likes

Another Lithium reserve found.

I think soon this will be like another gold rush in India. Digging everywhere for lithium.

Hi all ,

Any listed indian company either directly or indirectly involved in supply chain of lithium .

Itll be helpful , Thanks alot .

National Aluminium Company Ltd
Hindustan Copper Ltd
National Mineral Development Corporation