Loan Against Securities (Beta)

sir can we use same set of holdings (shares) for both LAS and collateral margin for trading simultaneously (at the same time)? @Karthik

At a time, you can either pledge shares for collateral margin or towards LAS, not towards both.

Hi @Karthik ,
with respect to buy back of shares, for example: if i have NTPC 1000 shares pledged.
NTPC says 10% buyback and i am eligible for 100 shares to participate.
I can buy 100 shares and submit those for buyback, where the total 100 will be processed for buyback by NTPC.

Please clarify if the above scenario will work.

Thank you

In such a case, to participate in the buy back, you should unpledge NTPC and replace the stock with another security to ensure there is no LTV call.

But for now, we dont have a workflow to replace stock A with stock B, although we are working on this flow on high priority.

Hence in the current scheme of things, you will have to close your loan to participate in the buyback.

1 Like

Thanks for update on workflow part and your efforts in expediting the process.

I understand that we cannot participate in buyback when the shares are pledged.
My point is i will buy 100 shares from market when NTPC announces buyback offer.
As per the record books of NTPC, i will be holding (1000 + 100) shares and i will be eligible for 110 shares for buyback.

Please clarify how does the system will work:

1. Will it allow to submit only 10 shares based on my current holdings.
  2. It will not allow to place buyback completely as it was part of pledged portfolio?

Actually, you can. But for that, you need to close the loan and unpledge the shares. I agree its a bit cumbersome, but I hope this is just a stop-gap :slight_smile:

Even though you have pledged your shares, you are still the beneficial owner of these shares, remember the shares are still in the DEMAT account. Hence you are entitled to benefits via corporate action. So1100 in your example.

Been using LAS for quite some time now. First at the pros Just amazed at the speed. The first loan got credited in one day and I was happy with that. But all the top-up loans are getting disbursed in nearly five hours flat. Kudos and keep up the good work.

Just wanted to understand the stock selection coz I could not find shares like laurus labs which I think is a good company (not illiquid or so) while companies having lesser float or mcap are present in the list. Kindly let us know

2 Likes

Ah, sorry. I missed this query. Right now, we are sticking to group A stocks. We will look at expanding the list of stocks over time.

Hi Zerodha Team,

Has the partial un-pledging feature been activated ? Please share a tentative date for the same.

Not yet. Hopefully, this will be out soon, unfortunately can’t put a timeline to this.

Kindly Do,Maybe by introducing variable haircuts on shares depending on the risk (Liquidity,Volatality or by parameters you can measure) But kindly add more securities.
Two more requests:

• Kindly add a ledger type statement on the las page, so that we can understand what is being charged ( I got a payment due of nearly 1k on two successive days, My ltv was below 45%. I paid but I still do not know what I paid for) so that will help a lot

• I think the only way to unpledge a pledged share is to close the entire loan. But kindly if you can introduce an option to unpledge a certain limit of securities if ltv drops below say 35 pcnt

As always a great expereience using LAS, Way to go Keep it up buddies !!!

@Lord_Voldemort - We already have this - Loans – Zerodha Capital but its not readily visible since its in beta.

Partial unpledge is a high priority item. We are waiting for few things to clear before we can introduce this.

@Karthik
I have MF holdings in another broker, Shall I still be able to get a loan against MF units?

When can we expect the new list of stocks.Waiting for the updated list.
can we expect Cochin Shipyard (PSU) stock being in the list?

Hi @MSDGOES, at present, we are in beta and allow only group 1 stocks to be pledged. We will start with MF soon.

RBI only permits a particular list of Group 1 securities to be allowed for collateralising for a loan by NBFCs. Zerodha Capital has its own list of curated scrips from the Group 1 list of securities, as per its risk management policies, which are eligible and permitted for the loan against securities product. The approved list of securities can be found here.

1 Like

Please let me know if zerodha capital is now providing Partial de pledging and replacing option for customers . Earlier I closed the loan account as this facility was not provided .

Hi @AG_1984, partial unpledge is still not available, you will have to make the complete re-payment of your loan in order to unpledge your securities. We are working in partial unpledge on priority. We appreciate your patience in this regard.

Hi @Mounica37, at present we are running this under Beta. We will update the list once we are out of beta.

Hi Zerodha team,

The current interest you charge is 10.5%. Can you give some sort of guidance on whether this rate can be changed mid year? For example if the central bank rates go up. Or are the rates fixed for a given year and can only be modified when we roll over the loan to the next year?

cc @Harshal_S_Katare

1 Like