New margin framework is here - to benefit hedged positions

Is new framework effective from Jun 1st ?

Custodians are clearing members but not trading members. They settle trades on behalf of their clients that are executed through other trading members. A trading member may assign a particular trade to a custodian for settlement. So, in this case we have selected Orbis, so we move all trades on their books and this will help us maintaining our OI limits. 5 paisa is just another broker so that is irrelevant here.

1 Like

Yes.

Even after using custodian only ± 300 otm is allowed?

If client is moved to orbis then for him/her there will be no limits.

I want to hedge trade

Have you moved to orbis?

Since I want to write option and also want to invest I will not

Yes with orbis pledging is not possible. :anguished:

Will you able to manage it better from 1st Jun. Today only I could not buy 8900 pe. This is really sad situation. You guys have to fix this.

Why you don’t consider bharat bond etf as cash equivalent…it is safest liquid fund

2 Likes

I have a basic question. Let’s say I sold 9000 pe and buy 8900 pe. Say nifty become 8000. What will be the difference if I square it off on the day of expiry or let it to expire. I am concerned about the liquidity of far ITM and stt.

Nifty is a cash settled contract. Your 9000 PE will settle at 1000 points and 8900 PE at 900 points. Yes, you will have to pay slightly higher STT. So 0.125 % of (1000 x75 + 900 x 75) = 0.125% of 1.42 lks per lot or around Rs 180 per lot.

1 Like

this we have to pay if we doNOT squareoff the option on expiry till 3.30 pm
OR
is this applicable if we squareoff the option trade before 3.30pm on expiry ?

I mean which is cheaper for us to do ?
please tell for : ITM , OTM and ATM
all

If you sell it in the market STT is 0.05% premium. If you let it expire, it is 0.125% of the premium.

If you let options expire worthless there is no STT or any other charge. So OTM on expiry has no charges.

2 Likes

@nithin update the Margin calculator please so that we can try it out over the weekend. :slight_smile: Guess you already have the new SPAN files from NSE.
Guys BTW the next trading day is Monday so basically the new margins now implemented…Enjoy!

1 Like

STT is applicable only on the SELL price ; am I right ?

what if I am the option seller/writer (Sell Today (Wednesday) Buy Tomorrow(Thursday expiry) ?
i.e. I have already sold the option first and now I just have to buy it (squreoff) or let it get auto expire .
So irrespective of whether it is OTM or ITM ; the STT is already charged and paid in the beginning only

!!!

Hopefully we should have it out tomorrow.

2 Likes

Ah my bad, yeah STT if traded on the market is only on sell side. So in all these examples, if you bought back on the exchange there would be no STT. But the issue with deep ITM is that they are illiquid and can lose a lot more money than STT. So it might make sense to just let it expire.

1 Like

sorry . still confused .
I got your point for the deep ITM .
BUT , pls tell me when there is enough volume liquidity in those strikes of OTM, ITM and ATM ;;;

what makes more sense on the expiry , from the below two : : :

(1) square off before 3.30 pm
(2) let it get expire