New margin framework is here - to benefit hedged positions

Even now one can withdraw any money that is not blocked.

RMS will check only one leg at a time, placing all at a time won’t be much help for above, sequence is important, for ex Placing a buy leg first would allow us to get margin benefit upfront when another sell leg is involved, we are working something on this.

Is it possible to give a little bit more margin benefit by using special order placement sequence…

@siva @nithin can u create orders based on popular option strategies like BO,CO AND MIS orders ?

1 Like

What? BO,CO are product types for intraday, what strategies you are talking about?

1 Like

@siva e.g if there is bear call spread… both buy and sell leg of the order can be pushed at same time as a single order?

We are working on basket orders, once it is live it would be possible.

2 Likes

Finally good news for options traders👍
Just asking can i carry forward hedge options contract till expiry? Or it is only meant for intraday?

Till expiry if all legs have same expiry, if not margin benefit will be applicable till initial expiry if legs have different expiries.

If i have Legs that have different expiry like weekly ,monthly combine ,
I can benefit with reduce hedge margins till recent week expiry right?

1 Like

Yeah.

Cross margin benefit between cash and derivatives segment is not given in SPAN. So there won’t be any benefit for this. However, you can pledge the ETF units and use the collateral required to fulfill the margin requirement.

3 Likes

Yes, margins will be lower for such strategies too.
However, margins will go up close to the expiry as one of the positions will be exposed. If you roll over correctly, you can maintain the position utilizing the margin benefit fully.

Answered above.

@MohammedFaisal hi can you please confirm if my calculation is correct or not
for bear call sell 12000 CE and buy 12100 CE , margin required is 5844+18120=24000 (approx) ?

The SPAN risk would be higher. However, we can only confirm what the margins will be once exchange puts out the details in a circular.

Great News. But Zerodha restricts buying most OTM options which would be used for hedging. Atleast should allow equal number of buy options at any strike of what sold (so overall OI remains same). @nithin @siva

Much before may 1st.

3 Likes

We are hoping this should help us in relaxation of OTM strikes also we are working on different solution this time to tackle OI.

1 Like

Hey, each order will be charged separately, no changes to that.

Hi siva, thanks for answering. I don’t think we can withdraw margin benefit as of now. I talked zolerodha customer care recently regarding this.

You can as per my understanding, if you can let me know exact case we can check on that because if margin is not blocked you can use it to buy other or even withdraw.If one closes any single leg in a hedged position then there won’t be margin benefit.