New margin framework - sample calculations

Hi Zerodha Team,

Now, since 1st June the new margin framework will be applicable. So, the traders who have knowledge of Options Trading will make lot of Credit Spreads like Iron Condor, Vertical, and Butterflies.

I suggest that you should make the application like Thinkorswim or Tasty Trade which is used for the Options Trading in USA and very easy to use for the credit spreads strategies.

@nithin

Hi Zerodha Team,

Now, since 1st June the new margin framework will be applicable. So, the traders who have knowledge of Options Trading will make a lot of Credit Spreads like Iron Condor, Vertical, and Butterflies.

I suggest that you should make the application like Thinkorswim or Tasty Trade which is used for the Options Trading in the USA and very easy to use for the credit spreads strategies

2 Likes

Paid version of Sensibull is there but it’s naive. thinkorswim is another level and unfortunately nothing in India as good as their platform. @Sensibull hardly adds value considering how much subscription it charges… It’s quite basic and the App really suck… There are literally hundreds of things that they can learn from thinkorswim’s free trading platform.

3 Likes

Yes. Really I had tried @Sensibull but it is not even near to Thinkorswim. I am using Thinkorswim for trading options in US market and it is very easy to use and especially creating the strategies and doing the adjustments also for any negative trades.

I hope one-day Zerodha will also make trading platforms like Thinkorswim or Tastytrade. Now, since June 1st margin will be reduced Options Traders required software like Thinkorswim to trade Options vert easily.

@nithin I hope one-day Zerodha will make a very good trading platform for Options traders.

1 Like

I thought trading leveraged products of overseas not allowed, off course unless you are a US Citizen.

@Anurag_Chopra Yes. It is not allowed you can only do the Investing.

My brother is a US citizen so I am doing through his account. Seriously, the Thinkorswim trading platform is like Ferrari for the Options Traders.

2 Likes

First time I experienced the thinkorswim demo account about 15 years ago and what @Sensibull provides today is almost nothing compared to what they used to provide in 2005. Well I am sure it will all evolve but it could take years! Thanks bro!

1 Like

We are working on spreads and baskets, this should help to a large extent.

Thanks Siva. I hope it will be easy to use and especially for the Credit Spread Strategies.

Please add features like analyze a trade, closing trade basis of Spreads, etc. If possible please look at the Thinkorswim platform for the reference.

Will it be possible in near future to pledge stocks and trade in orbis?

2 Likes

How are you trading in US Derivatives? Legally we are not suppose to trade right?

Not in near future, but will update if possible thereafter.

Hmmmmm

As a last ditch effort to get something out of this hopeless situation.

I think its not possible to have both Zerodha & Orbis simultaneously.
otherwise I would have thought of writing options with zerodha and buy hedge with orbis.
It would be more far fetched thought to think and ask if one will still get margin benefits in new regime in such case.

The orbis route is feasible only to exclusive buyers of options as they need cash and cannnot use pledged margins. its not useful for “new breed” of traders who are supposed to emerge aftert 1 june.

I think all above ideas are far fetched and impossible.
And it is practically not feasible to let go of 5% pa returns on pledged ETFs etc just for all this circus.

@nithin

1 Like

My brother is a US citizen so I am doing through his account.

Is it possible to trade if you have a work permit like H1B and staying in US?

@nithin: This is not true for far next month OTM stock options that are not very liquid though there are bid-ask spreads. I feel there can be an option/setting for option writers [based on their trading history] that allows them to short next month options. Or some sort of authentication that allows zerodha to distinguish between scamming activities and genuine trades.

1 Like

If decent bid and offers are there we allow them, also this happens most to stock options, index OTM shouldn’t be a problem in most cases, I believe.

Also we are working something on these lines, will take sometime.

Thanks Siva.

Yes, you are right. There is no restriction in Nifty trades. I prefer to sell stock options that are far OTMs because they provide a good risk reward ratio compared to Nifty/BankNifty. Most stocks have options at strikes that are further than 20% from current market price. The premium offered is much better compared to even 10% OTM in Nifty/BankNifty.

Example: There was a good opportunity to sell IndusIndbank 1000 CE of far months when the implied volatility was very high in March/April but the system did not allow such trades.

any idea what will be the new margin for Ratio back spread?

How will the required margin will change if instead of 200 point strike difference (i.e 8800-9000) I choose 50point strike difference (say 8800-8850) in bear call spread? Would it be same or different

1 Like