Nifty hits 20000. What level was Nifty at when you first started investing?

Nifty 50 index hit a all time high of 20000 yesterday, what level was Nifty at when you first started investing?

I’ll start with mine - 4900

I still remember celebrating 5k in Nifty with trading folks who used to track and trade markets from a terminal in my hometown with garma garam samosa and sweets.

@nithin @Karthik - In your early trading days, what was your first experience of discussing Nifty’s levels and do you remember celebrating any milestones related to it?

@ other friends at Tradingqna - Looking forward to your interesting stories :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I first started trading when Nifty was between 15 and 16 thousand. I bought an Adani share intraday believing their prices would only rise, and if they wouldn’t, I’ll convert that into delivery. It didn’t rise so I took delivery of them as planned, but after a few days I decided to cash them, so I placed an AMO and surprisingly the stock opened higher and I made my first profit that day. It was sheer luck but I have been in the market ever since.

1 Like

This is an excellent thread @Meher_Smaran
I started investing at 18000 levels on 14th Sept 2022 About to complete a year :laughing:
I began with smallcap funds after considering my risk appetite and due diligence. Right after that market fell to 16800s levels and my portfolio was maybe like --18 % or something like that Then I learned quite a few lessons about having the stomach to see your first investments losing value, following which I doubled down there taking lumpsum positions as I was pretty confident on my analysis that there’s not much downside left and I’m glad I did then as markets proceeded 19000++ levels I added some debt and made a decently diversified portfolio and I’m happy with it.
Also, this 20k mark was the first milestone level I enjoyed :laughing:

I started learning about the markets when they were like 10-11k during the post-COVID mark and started paper trading and stuff while they were 15k around.

1 Like

If hencjjsjajhaj held those adani shares, he would have been featured in Forbes billionaire list :grin:

1 Like

Cheers, Chetan :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

1 Like

Started investing with discipline after the post covid crash recovery started around 10.5-11k. Made the mistake of investing in 10-12 different mutual funds without much thought. Now consolidating my portfolio in a few select index funds.
PS - Looking forward to the Zerodha NFO :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Started my market journey in 2017

Nifty was trading between 8500-9000

1 Like

When the Nifty was at 2100, I began my stock market trip.

2 Likes

year - 2006 or 2007, cant remember.
Probably started with ELSS so sensex must have been below 15k. Saw it go to 20k+ and back down below 10k. Invested on the way up and down. Only looked at sensex.
Did not know much although i used to look at index values on and off since maybe 2002. TIGER (infra) fund used to be very popular back then. That thing went to hell.

Never really cared for levels as such.

1 Like

Around 8k in 2016. But then I started with mutual fund. Found it boring after 4 to 5 months and then got into equity. In 2020 crash I saw my portfolio bleed to negative 50 percent. But then I added large caps, and I am still holding some of them.
Some of my best buys which I am still holding.
Tatamo 90
SBI 190
Polycab 800
Most of the stocks that I am holding are giving me more than 60 percent return with an average period of holding of 3 years.
I then entered derivatives segment in 2020 and so far not doing too bad. :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I went into 100% debt when nifty hit 13800. And stopped all mutual funds SIPs.

With the profits from trading, I purchased few stocks @ dips

Planning to find 12 more opportunities over the next year. Used the @Tickertape to shortlist close to 300+ stocks for the same. Researching stocks takes up my weekend these days.

1 Like

Some of these buy prices are once in a lifetime type levels.

1 Like

Rock solid as always. Especially the entries.

Ah, You are a senior then. Do share your experiences often :slight_smile:

1 Like

I started in Dec 2016 and Nifty was around 8000 levels.

1 Like

2017- 9700 levels.

2 Likes

July 2017 - Nifty was around 9500 then

December 2019

Nifty was at 12000 , I bought tatamotors at 120, still holding.

3 Likes

I started in 2015. Nifty 50 was around 8200 mark.

1 Like