NSC and G-sec related

Hi, is it possible to open a NSC account online ? From banks like SBI, HDFC, Axis? or by any other means in which I don’t have to go to a post office?
NSC and PPF account have fixed interest rates like FD or they keep changing quarterly/half-yearly/yearly? If i’ve an active account, my interest will also keep changing depending on the interest government keep setting?

I just started looking at G-sec for investment and found that there are a lot of ongoing bonds which are listed on Kite but none of them have any liquidity. How am I supposed to buy a bond then?
Even if I’m able to get 1 how can I sell it before its maturity when there’s no liquidity?

Also I checked the current bonds and t-bills listed on coin, if I apply for them, is it guaranteed that i’ll be allocated the amount I bought?
Moreover, T-bills were showing only 3.4% something yield, why would anyone invest in this with such a bad interest rate?

Please be detailed im new to all this!

@Quicko @neha1101 @Prayag @Vij

FalconZex - All I know is that for NSC, you need to go to a post office. For NPS, banks will assist and even you can open account online. With regard to GSec - absolutely no clue.

I am sure experts will reply.

1 Like

Interest are now linked to G-sec and they are reset every quarter. So your Interest rate will keep changing based on what govt sets.

Yes liquidity is a massive issue for retailers investing directly in G-sec. Easier way would be to invest in it through Debt Mutual funds. Or some bond ETFs like Bharat bond (not G-sec but exposure to PSU bonds) or some other debt index funds.
If you are directly buying, go with mindset of holding till maturity. Selling out in between can be a problem.

Well for retailers it might not make much sense, but lot of institutional investors uses T-bills to park short term money. Even Liquid funds are huge buyers of T-bills.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. As it’s really hard to buy G sec directly from kite due to liquidity. What if I place order for currently active G sec on coin? Do they get alloted with guarantee?

Also, I saw here that @Bhuvan in an old post stated that you can sell G sec at idbi samridhi portal with ease. Is it still true?

https://samriddhigsec.idbibank.co.in/GSEC/newInvPageCaller.do?pageId=newInvHome#no-back-button

And can I buy NSC online without going to post office?

Frankly I haven’t tried buying Gsec directly yet. So I am not sure how allotment is. Having said that remember that RBI conducts an auction for Gsec and based on auction outcome yields are decided. So what you yield you are seeing on Coin is indicative number, actual would be based on auction (should be very close though).
Never used IDBI samriddhi.

I don’t think so. It is an offline only process. You will have to visit some office for sure :slight_smile:

Instead of NSC, I think investment in RBI floating rate bonds makes more sense. Their duration is 7 years (against 5 of NSC) but interest rate is slightly higher (NSC+0.35%) and they can be bought online through banks. Check it out if that interests you.

1 Like

Oh I’ll have a look at that. Can these rbi bonds be purchased directly from SBI net banking?

I am not sure about SBI. never used it.
I use ICICI bank and it can be purchased online through ICICI

1 Like

I contacted HDFC and they said that I’ll need to open a Demat account with them in order to purchase these RBI Bonds. Did you open a Demat account in ICICI too before you were able to invest in these RBI Bonds? @Akash_Shah

No, this bonds are issued by bank in Bond ledger account and not in demat account of user. ICICI has provision of applying though netbanking directly, Demat account is not needed.

2 Likes