NSE Circular on Short margin penalty refund

If intraday margin goes up, there is no margin penalty on intraday trades. The penalty is applicable only if margin goes up at end of the day, for overnight positions. Doesn’t affect intraday positions.

3 Likes

Thank you so much.

6 Likes

So @nithin refund for intraday peak margin penalty since oct 21 will be automatically refunded or we will need to raise support tickets for it?

2 Likes

Hey @MayankMaheshwari, we’ve been computing and refunding any upfront margin penalties from October 2021 that were passed on to the customers. If you haven’t received a refund, would suggest you create a ticket here so our team can have this checked.

If you’ve already created a ticket, you can DM me the ticket number.

2 Likes

Had created a ticket some 10 days back, and it’s still in pending resolution status. The team has even stopped responding on that ticket after telling me that they are awaiting outcome of the petition filed by brokers.

Please DM me the ticket number. Will have this checked.

1 Like

Hi Shubh, where to check for refunds?
Not sure if i have received any emails or notifications. Else will raise a ticket.

1 Like

You can check this on Console legder. If penalty has been refunded, you will see margin penalty reversal entry.

Oh okay. So the penalty refund gets credited to our ledger and not our bank account.

3 Likes

@ShubhS9, my ticket is also on the pending resolution status. Was told to wait for a few more days, so please check if anything more needs to be done…

Ticket no: #20220927221389

@NithinKamath when can we expect a final timeline to get judgement on petition and refund of short margin penaly?

As mentioned in this post, we are already calculating and refunding the upfront margin penalty. It will take some time because what portion of the penalty is upfront margin penalty is not an easy calculation.

Checking this, Sachin. You will have update on the ticket.

@nithin @ShubhS9

Consider someone has call option selling position held overnight. During intraday, margins were maintained well above margin requirement. But due to volatility, margin increases at end of day (EOD) leading to considerable margin shortfall on EOD basis.

Will penalty on this EOD margin shortfall be taken by zerodha or passed on to client??

Check this out

1 Like

As per the current regulations, it can’t be passed. So essentially brokers will be forced to square off positions where margins have gone up quite a bit.

5 Likes

okay

2 Likes

How is very easy for brokers to deduct margin penalty from client account , the same is very difficult for him to refund the same amount

some brokers are already refunded the amount :crossed_fingers: waiting

i guess itz bcos thry need to chck n diffentiate btwn upfront n non upfront margin penalties n refund the upfront margin relatd ones

1 Like