OI Restrictions, Strike Price Range only 450 points range? Really Bad

This is really sad! 450 points range we’re getting on zerodha. this is very very sad for all the option traders.

We get that on zerodha client base is huge but this is like we can’t trade on zerodha anymore with such a narrow range.

how much others are giving?

Haven’t faced any issues with other brokers, it is because zerodha have a huge client base hence exceeding the broker wise cap/ limit. it’s not the same with other brokers.

so today’s range is 200 points!

@nithin you have to do something about it. it’s practically saying don’t trade options here, go with other brokers. really bad!

Restrictions seems to be changing during the day. Now the margin page says

Current Week- 10500 TO 11100 CE & PE

I thought Zerodha had lifted these restrictions and everyone is free to trade any expiry. Very bad indeed.

Are we allowed to write options for any strike?

yeah, you can see in the pic above, that time range was mere 200 points!

Yes but to hedge/reduce margin requirements you can not buy otm options so practically you can’t take trade on zerodha with such a narrow range of 200 points.

Yes, there is no Strike limitation for writing Options.

Not bad…

and how would you hedge it?

hedge … for what?

Buying deep OTM option may be comforting. But… think why it is cheap.

One has to buy more qty of them for hedging against a high momentum move in the short term. But a less deeper OTM and being cautious works much better.

Margin benefit also dont look great with deep OTM.

Hedging for any unexpected black swan event is the only use. But that too only applicable in few specific situations, which one better not get into.

Allowed strikes seems good enough to me for margin benefit. Deep OTM options have very little use when going long in them.

I just dont like restrictions. Thats all.

to reduce margin requirement or for black swan events.

buying deep OTM gives great margin benefits, i think you’re not familiar with new margin rules.

not really, buying same qty works, if i sell 11000 CE and buy 11100 my max risk is capped at 100 points per lot and gives GREAT Margin benefits.

not everyone sells ATM options and buys atm + 100 strike. coz that was the case practically, 200 points range means what? this 200 points range must be good for you but not for majority of traders. not for me atleast, hence the post.

same, i understand that there’s limit but 200 points is like insane!

Agreed.

We may have different views about the strategies… but this 200 pts limit is too much. The current range displayed in margin page looks bit acceptable, but I dont know when that 200 pts range is changed. May be people trade on the relaxed range after the exchange is closed. :slight_smile:

:joy:

Yeah…

yes i agree buying options should be allowed since loss is limited but its opposite in zerodha :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Can you please provide any other brokers doing better.