Overall Investment Performance

It may not an issue of difficulty, but a matter of priorities. This may not be high on the list of things that Zerodha wants to do, for one reason or another.

Also, from what I have seen so far, I feel metrics/reporting [1] is the part of Zerodha which is the least “Zerodha-like”. So this delay looks par for the course!

[1] I don’t know the exact term; what I mean is: stuff corresponding to computing various metrics and presenting these to users.

In one of the above replies, it is specifically mentioned that it is difficult for them to do it. Otherwise they can mention that its not in priority as of now. Its totally understandable.

That reply says it is difficult for Zerodha because they don’t have access to some type of data. At least, this is what I understood from that reply.

You have provided an algorithm that does the task, based on data which we can get from Zerodha.

Can both of these be correct at the same time? To me, it looks not.

1 Like

The easiest way is to download the tradebook and upload it to some other portfolio tracker. This is what I do.

What about the idle funds that you keep in your trading account. Sometimes when we have leveraged position we do keep some buffer cash. Moreover how will you calculate return on the basis of margin that’s blocked?

I had created a separate post for this later.

I try to keep most of the idle fund in liquidbees, for ease of calculation in case of equities. For F&O I maintain a sheet manually and mostly I keep my cash in some fund and pledge, but yes there would be some idle cash left, I try to keep it to minimum.
Just went through your thread of your excel sheet, looks like that’s more accurate since that is based on the total cash flow in the account.

Yes. Some of them calculate ok the basis of margin utilised. Some of the option buyers say they make 10 percent return. But the return is computed in capital employed and not the total amount in the trading account.
To see if you are doing better than the bench mark index I strongly feel we should do it at account level. If I am not outperforming then I can just buy index funds and forget.

That’s true. Real return is XIIR over the entire capital over long term.

Re-igniting this topic.
I have been a Zerodha customer since 2015 and i really miss this feature.

It will be really helpful if Zerodha can provide the performance reporting feature.

1. Investors should be able to select any time period (say YTD/1M/3M/6M or between any start and end date ) and see the performance in the selected period (at overall portfolio level and individual position level …and if we want fun :slight_smile: , it can be also be at market segment level …say Banking/FMCG etc) .
    Along with these details - Initial/Final Market value, Investment/withdrawal; Realised/Unrealised P&L; Dividend received

There are systems available in the market (e.g. check ‘sharesight’) but will be a pain to manually maintain data there from Zerodha.

It won’t be easy for investors to do it on their own (above XIRR method won’t help) as it would require historical position details, price/valuation etc. and use of Money weighted return (MWR) calculation method. Having worked on similar IT systems (portfolio mgt), I know it won’t be a quick solution for Zerodha tech team also…But it would be a really valuable feature and I am sure Zerodha can do it.

Would love to hear what @nithin thinks about this feature.

We are working on launching an equity curve feature. Hopefully in the next couple of months.

We are working on launching an equity curve on Console. Consider how MFs publish a daily NAV after considering pay-in/payout; we will have a daily NAV for every customer account. We will then plot the NAV curve for every user to know how they are performing, not just % returns but also comparing to benchmarks. Once this is launched, we will include that as an option for the user to publish it on verified P&L.

This is the only way to know the % returns, drawdowns, etc. Otherwise, even if you can access a ledger, manually calculating this is hard for anyone.

Quite interesting. Look forward to this new feature.
I am curious to know how dividend and interest payment on bond would be treated.

Ah yeah, this will be slightly complicated to handle. We may not do it in the V1.

Any update on this feature release date? @nithin

Beta in next couple of weeks.

@nithin
Sir, you mentioned this in June. It’s almost December now. Please launch it.

Take a look at Dhan and how quickly they’ve progressed in the last year. They actively gather and implement user-demanded features, and it’s not as if their products are half-baked. They even have a separate options trading app with numerous features, and it’s not clunky but rather smooth.

I am sticking with Zerodha for the trust, ease of use, familiarity, etc. However, from an outsider’s perspective, it seems like Zerodha is falling behind, lacking urgency in implementing changes. In a fast-moving world, this is not good.

Xirr was the first step and we have that in beta.

Equity curve ended up being a lot more complicated than we thought. It is almost like every customer being a mutual fund and then us doing fund accounting for each account. That is calculating NAV for every customer and a lot more. As a business gets larger, the ability to launch quickly drops significantly. The priority becomes to ensure that any product launched covers most edge cases and can scale. Businesses that are earlier in their journey can take larger risks.

So is this feature shelved? I was really looking forward to it. :face_holding_back_tears: :frowning_face:

It is not shelved, you have to give it some more time.

1 Like

I think IB has this feature in US