Peak margin requirements from Dec 1st 2020 & its effects

As said 2.30 span and 5.30 span can have difference, on kite till market close margin blocked will be based on 2.30 file but process will happen based on 6 pm file.

@siva You are not getting me. My final EOD file margin(not the 3:00 or 3:30 or 5:30) was -50000 and the next day 8:00 am margin is -500000/-.

Was the market having some midnight session and suddenly the VIX rose up?

This should not happen, can you give ID and mention date, please.

@siva
yesterday @713-714 rs copper margin was 90,000/- and how today its 96,785/- @676 rs copper
strange
NRML margin shows 1,86,125/- so 50% MIS should be 93,063

Depends on volatility also.

We charge 52% of nrml so even if there is some change to span during intraday it will act as buffer.

If I sell and buy the same shares, will I need to pay a penalty if all of my orders are CNC?

This is the sequence of events:

1. I don’t have any funds as margin
  2. I have 100 shares of A in my DEMAT account. I sold them at Rs. 500 each. I got 80% of sale proceeds as margin, which is 40,000
  3. I bought 80 shares of A at Rs. 500 using 40,000 margin
  4. Now, Zerodha treats this situation as if I have sold 20 shares of A since I have re-purchased 80 of the 100 shares that I sold. And it shows a margin of 8,000, which is 80% of the value of 20 shares that Zerodha considers that I have currently sold.
  5. With the 8,000 margin, I bought 16 shares of A at Rs. 500.
  6. Now Zerodha assumes that I have sold 4 shares of A because I have re-purchased 96 shares. It shows a margin of 1600. With that margin, I bought 3 more shares of A at Rs. 500.
  7. Zerodha thinks I have sold just 1 share, and gives me Rs. 400 as margin. I added Rs. 100 to my funds and then I purchased one more share of A at Rs. 500.
  8. Now I have sold and re-purchased all the shares that I had.

Am I violating peak margin requirement in this case? My reading of This article by @nithin is that I will have to pay a penalty. Please clarify.

If you’ve no funds in your account and sell shares from the holdings, you’ll be only able to buy back 80% of the shares since you’ve funds only to purchase that many. The remaining 20% you can use only from the next day onwards, not on the same day.

Penalty can arise if you use the proceeds received to do intraday trades or trade in F&O and buy back the sold shares.

@ShubhS9 specifically for the sequence of steps that I mentioned above, and assuming that I have not done any other trades, will I be charged a peak margin penalty?

As mentioned above:

If you’ve no funds in your account and sell shares from the holdings, you’ll be only able to buy back 80% of the shares since you’ve funds only to purchase that many. The remaining 20% you can use only from the next day onwards, not on the same day.

There won’t be penalty if you buy back the shares you’ve sold.

@nithin @siva @ShubhS9 Will the peak margin penalty apply in the situation described below?

1. I have sold options on stocks and these need to be settled by physical delivery.
  2. On the Wednesday before the monthly expiry, the margin on stock options increases significantly, resulting in a margin shortfall at market open.
  3. During the day, I go about adding more capital to fund the additional margin requirement and/or square off some positions to reduce the required margin, to make sure that there is no longer a margin shortfall in my account at the time of market close.

Does the peak margin penalty apply in this situation? In other words, is there a possibility of penalty getting levied on the amount of margin shortfall at market open on the last Wednesday before monthly expiry owing to the increased margin requirement on stock options?

The additional margin required on last two days of expiry will not come under Peak Margin. You can close positions on Wednesday or transfer accordingly to not have positions closed from our end or face interest penalty but those additional won’t come under peak margin.

Are intraday hedging margins also going to reduce.Now i am getting a margin requirement of 27000 rs with hedging in intraday.will this also going to increase?

1 Like

After sep 1st all margins will be same as nrml margins, no difference between intraday or carry forward.

1 Like

After Sep 1 will sebi allow brokers to fund client for margin requirements

@ShubhS9 @siva is now penalty is charged on intraday shortfall also?

Say if I exit buy position first and wait for 5 -10 min. To exit sell position. Will I be charged with short margin penalty?

Considering balance went in negative for 10 min

Likely yes, please read first few replies of this thread.

Penalty Is on placing an order or exectuing?

Because once i place a buy order first my balance goes negative. Technically should not charge Penalty until it gets executed.

On executing only.

Is there any possibility of Intraday margins stays at 50% or 75% of NRML margin by Sep 21

No. As of now, from September 2021, intraday margin requirements in F&O will be as overnight (NRML) margin requirements.