Peak margin requirements from Dec 1st 2020 & its effects

Currently after 75% Peak Margin Rule the leverage on Equity Cash is 6X. So by Maximum 5X from Sept. 2021 does it mean the leverage on Nifty50 Equity Cash can be 2X, 2.5X, 3X, 4X too or will it be fixed at 5X ?
Please answer.

Right, it can be lower than 5x as well, but maximum will be capped at 5x, leverage cannot be more than that.

Let’s say I had Rs. 500 funds in my account and 50 shares of Reliance in my holdings. I sell all 50 at 2000 and now have Rs 80,000. With this money I buy and sell some shares on the same day in CNC (no leverage) and make a profit of Rs. 5,000. Now I buy back 40 Reliance shares at 1990, will there be a margin penalty for my case?

2 Likes

when i keep stoploss for buy leg in hedged position…availabe margin goes negative…will i be charged peak margin penalty @siva @ShubhS9

1 Like

Nope, for pending orders margin penalty won’t be charged but may happen if order is completed.

How you guys are marking T+1 for Ad-hoc margin/BTST? I am seeing even after 5 trading days still scrips are marked as T+1 in Kite. E.g. I bought the scrip on 12 August, still its marked as T1.

Let me add further…this is regarding ad-hoc margin for BTST. A BTST trade by definition should end next day of purchase. Say if a stock is bought BTST trade is valid till Tuesday to my understanding. So ad-hoc margin should be collected till Tuesday.

Now if the trade is settled on T+2 or there is a settlement holiday, does that make trade BTST even after 4 days? Because Zerodha nudge asks for margin even after 4/5 days of purchases.

@siva, @ShubhS9 I have a related query on this.

Lets say, I have 1 lot short on nifty futures and 1 lot of call option buy as a hedge. After this trades the fund balance is now 1000 rs. (or a very low positive amount).

Now I had entered into another trade and brought another call option (possibly by 200 points lower strike price).

Now if I place a limit order to sell the first call option bought, the margin balance turns into negative, but after the completion of order it turns to positive again. Even if I place a market order, for a split second it turns to negative and I got MARGIN CALL sms / mail.

So in these cases, I understand from above that margin penalty won’t be charged. Please correct me if i am wrong.

But I would still like to understand why margin balance is shown as negative for those split seconds (or when a limit order is in place). Is this going to cause any problems to my account in terms of margin reporting for intraday purposes?

1 Like

If the sl order is pending and account balance is negative then margin penalty won’t be charged, but if account is negative and order is completed then penalty may be charged.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know EOD short margin penalty reflects in zerodha statement in couple of weeks time. After how many days intraday margin shortfall penalty will be shown in statement?

If i have enough margin in morning, and in mid day it suddenly changes to negative (without taking any new trade), will i be allowed 10-15 minutes of time to transfer required shortfall fund? or penalty will be levied instantaneously?

(in last 4-5 months, my intraday margin went negative but haven’t seen any penalty in the statement so far)

@siva and @ShubhS9
Can you give list of penalties imposed on client nowadays?
and also their functionality.

2 Likes

when BO order open ??? URGENT

We’ve disabled Bracket Orders (BO) and have explained why we’ve done it here.

Can check this.

@siva
Nowadays too many types of Penalty
so I am asking for name like this if any more

EOD Margin Penalty
Peak Margin Penalty

Only those two from exchange for shortfall of margin.

@siva @ShubhS9
Currently there is a gap between MIS margin needed and NRML margin needed due to only 25% premium benefit passed on for MIS.

In some earlier post it was mentioned that post 1st Sep 100% of the premium benefit would be passed on, which in effect meant that MIS and NRML would be the same.

Currently MIS is more than NRML (to the tune of 75% of the premium {75% of total premium of 140}). Is this something we are looking to correct before market open or would this stay?

1 Like

Yes, 100% premium credit will be given for MIS option sell too. Backend changes are already done. In the basket order window also it will reflect soon.

Thanks for the quick revert

Kindly check now, changed in the front end too.