Peak margin requirements from Sep 1st 2021 & its effects

Through the issuance of the circular on collection of upfront margins from SEBI ( PDF ) dated July 20, 2020, SEBI prescribed the norms for the collection of upfront margins and introduced the concept of peak margins.

The idea behind introducing peak margins was to curb the immoderate leverage being provided by some brokers, putting the entire market at risk. Since earlier, margins were only calculated on End Of Day (EOD) positions, brokers gave excess amounts of leverage intraday and allowed clients to take positions, mandating them to close positions before EOD.

To curtail this excess leverage, SEBI required the clearing corporations to start taking snapshots of intraday positions at least 4 times a day and calculate margins on such intraday positions. Here’s an excerpt of the same from the SEBI circular:

IB5HGIDT_1

As such, today, the clearing corporation takes 4 snapshots at random intervals on the basis of positions held by the clients. At the end of the day, the broker is required to report available margins against the highest margin value across the 4 files and any shortfall in margin is liable for penalty. This is detailed in the circular here:

5SM0PWC9_2

While the intent of the market regulator is unquestionable, the manner in which the circular has been deployed is not without flaws. Zerodha does not provide any excess leverage to clients, and always stipulates the collection of upfront margins when clients are taking positions. However, there are circumstances where the margins shoot up after clients have entered into positions, resulting in a shortfall. There is no way for a broker to control/know the margins charged by the Exchange in advance. Here are examples:

• Increase in margins consequent to import of latest SPAN file

SPAN files (files on the basis of which margins are calculated) are updated by the exchanges multiple times a day, on the basis of which the margins for client positions change. The possibility hence arises wherein a client could have brought in, sufficient margins at the time of entering into an intraday position, only to realize subsequently that the upfront margin requirements have increased, after the import of the latest SPAN file.

In the event that the peak margin snapshot is taken at this instance after the import of the latest SPAN file, the peak margins in the client’s account may be much higher, leading to an unnecessary peak margin penalty being levied. It is thus difficult to estimate the exact quantum of margins required at any time even for trading members, leading to uncertainty and levy of unnecessary penalties.

• Increase in margins after EOD upon expiry of weekly contracts

As you are aware, there are weekly option contracts available for various indices: BANK NIFTY, NIFTY, and FINNIFTY. There are often instances where a client may have a hedged position, holding one leg in a weekly contract and another leg in a monthly contract. On expiry day, in the event that a client does not square off the weekly contract (expiring that day), the margins shoot up after market close. Margins are lower for the hedged position until 3:30 PM, and shoot up thereafter.

This causes a great deal of inconvenience, with the exchanges often levying unnecessary penalties due to the margin shortfall in the end of day file. The fact that such a shortfall is likely to occur may not immediately be apparent to a client either.

• Peak margins due to lag in closing both legs of hedged position

This example is in continuation of the above point. After implementation of the peak margin framework, it is possible for a penalty to be levied despite a client having closed both legs of a hedged trade. This can happen in case the peak margin snapshot is taken at a time when one leg of the trade is closed and the other is yet to be closed.

Example Scenario

1. The Client transfers ₹2,00,000/- to the trading account to trade in the F&O segment

1. Client takes a NIFTY long position in April contract - margin blocked is ₹1,60,000/-

1. Client takes a NIFTY short position in May contract - margin blocked is now ₹30,000/- (on account of the position now being hedged; free balance in account: ₹1,70,000/-)

1. Client takes a BANKNIFTY long position in April contract - margin blocked ₹1,60,000/-

1. In this case, the Client has fulfilled all margin requirements.

1. Client now closes the first leg of the NIFTY position (long April), as a result of which the total margin required in the account goes up to: ₹3,20,000/-

1. Trading member system raises an alert and informs the client of short margins

1. NSE takes a snapshot of the position at this instance and captures ₹3,20,000/- as margin required

1. Client on receipt of alert from the trading member closes the other leg of NIFTY, as a result of which the margin required drops to ₹1,60,000/- (Since only the BANKNIFTY position is open)

In this example too, an unnecessary penalty gets levied for being short on peak margins, despite the client having squared up the outstanding positions and complying with the margin requirements on an end of day basis.

All brokers are subject to audits by internal auditors, concurrent auditors, inspections by stock exchanges - both onsite and offsite, inspection by market regulator SEBI. As such, it is unlikely that a broker is making money by posting entries on the client’s ledger in the garb of “margin penalty”.

These matters have already been escalated to the respected regulator and are under consideration. Very soon, there will be changes made to the manner of implementation of the peak margin rules after which there will possibly be a reduction in the penalty values being imposed by the Stock Exchange.

12 Likes

hi @ShubhS9 , really appreciate your efforts in explaining this in detail.
Your efforts may be worthwhile, if the same can be available in zerodha websites under standard FAQ section with an appropriate title.
Thanks!

This is available on Support Portal as well.

The main allegation in the video is that the SEBI Circular on intraday peak margin, levies penalties on members (brokers) for non-collection or short-collection of margins from clients and that these penalties cannot be passed on to clients.
I know this sounds unfair on the brokers but this is what is alleged in the video by PR Sundar, with references provided to SEBI circulars and email responses.

Now that the video has gone viral and many investors are emailing SEBI, I hope SEBI will provide clarity on this issue soon.

1 Like

I read in one of the articles that no penalty is imposed if funds turn negative due to intra day volatility.
For example.
Lets say I have utlised funds of 9lakhs and addtional 1lakh is kept in the account. Due to intra day volatility margin has increased and now funds available shows negative 1lakh. Will there be penalty?
The last I have read, there was penalty. Has anything changed since then?
@ShubhS9

2 Likes

Relaxed from from 1st August, 2022.

1 Like

This comes into effect from August 1st, 2022. From then onwards margin at the beginning of the day will be considered for reporting. So if there is any shortfall due to intraday spike, there won’t be margin penalty. You can check the SEBI circular here: https://www.sebi.gov.in/legal/circulars/may-2022/changes-to-the-framework-to-enable-verification-of-upfront-collection-of-margins-from-clients-in-cash-and-derivatives-segments_58843.html

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. So from what I understand we would have only short margin penalty.
There would be no peak margin penalty.
So on intra day basis brokers can give addtional leverage. I feel I am still missing out on something. Would you mind explaining how is it different from what it was before peak margin was introduced?

No more than margin required at beginning of the day.

Okay so let me try to understand this using few scenarios

Magin utlised in the morning: 9lakhs
Funds available: 1lakh
No new positions taken during he day
During the day total margjn required goes to 11lakhs.
Shortfall 1lakh.
Result: No margin penalty.

No open positons
Cash available 10lakhs
When I take position margin required 9lakhs.
For the same positions if they were open before the start ot trading session was 11lakhs
After the positions were taken margin increased to 12lakhs
Shortfall 2lakhs
Result: peak margin penalty on 2 lakhs.

No open positons
Cash available 10lakhs
For the same positions if they were open before the start ot trading session was 11lakhs
After the positions were taken margin dropped to 8lakhs
Shortfall NIL
Result: No Penalty.

No open positons
Cash available 10lakhs
After the positions were taken margin increased to 10.5lakhs
Shortfall 50k
Result: peak margin penalty on 50k

Can you clarify if my understanding is right. If this is right then I will understand combination of open and new positions also.

Going through all the material below , Peak margin penalty transferring to Client is not legit . Its only EOD margin can be liable for penalty . “The client needs to fund their account before 11.59 PM to avoid paying the peak margin penalty”. Its clearly mention in RTIs and cases that Brokers should give sufficient time and constant communications or even RMS should square off . Many brokers are levying random penalties without any proof is a ‘Day light Robbery’

1. Another SCAM by Brokers (I was charged ₹9.5 LAKHS) + Post Market Report 01-Apr - YouTube
  2. TRUTH Behind 50% Cash Margin & Peak Margin Penalty - BROKER SCAM Part 2 - YouTube
    Information related to Peak margin Penalty: 1. TRUTH Behind 50% Cash Margin & Peak Margin Penalty - BROKER SCAM Part 2 - YouTube ( watch from: 4:33 to 13:04) , 2. FAQ: https://www1.nseindia.com/membership/resources/download/faq_mrg_collection_reporting.pdf 3.SEBI Cases against broker: https://www.sebi.gov.in/enforcement/orders/dec-2021/appeal-no-4529-of-2021-filed-by-gowrishankar-s_54616.html,https://www.sebi.gov.in/sebi_data/attachdocs/dec-2017/1514550695322.pdf

I even don’t understand what SEBI wants, they have finished intraday margins then why they have 4 times a day margin updates that too randomly. Now they will remove it on 1st Aug. So even removing some clause takes 3- 4 months !!!

@ShubhS9 why is there a 146340 rupee difference in margin requirement between zerodha and kotak ?

1 Like

Zerodha have started blocking 3-4% extra, so probably Kotak is only blocking the mandated margin, or not blocking extra upto the extent Zerodha is doing…

1 Like

Hi @viswaram, apologies for delayed response. As @SachinSingh pointed out, we block 3-4% additional margin. You can refer to this post for more information.

temporarily thats okay. how do i write to NSE on this matter?

if brokers keep the margins higher fearing peak margin penalty the customers end up losing trades.

NSE should do away with peak margin issue or end up relaxing the margin requirements for intraday.

in the last 1 to 2 years the qty i could sell on margin has declined by 40%

i now need to find double risk reward trade opportunity to make the same money

what’s the point in NSE saying its to save the traders when he is compelled to risk double his money to make the same gain?

1 Like

Exactly.
I’ll be losing out much much more due to this extra blocking of margin than by paying any sort of peak margin penalty.

Sebi Scores

@ShubhS9 can you get somebody from NSE active on tradingqna ?

@SachinSingh - i will raise the scores complaint soon, couple of existing complaints are pending redressal - let that get sorted out first.

Is this part of a co-ordinated push to encourage people to reduce trading (on margin) ? :thinking:

Sir they earn intrest on margin kept by us with them samje sir conflict of intrest hai.after sebi mandated to settle clients funds they have resorted to this cheap technique

hmm… cheap technique? Have you read this post & my comments above on why we have to charge a slightly higher margin to avoid penalties that will make the business unviable otherwise?

1 Like