Physical settlement of FNO in short CE

I had shorted hindalco 565 CE at 12.7 but failed to close trade. last price of trade was 8 and closing price of hindalco was 567.25 now as per my info or say little knowledge i will have to buy 1400 shares (lot size) at what price order will be executed or i will get shares?

thanks

2 Likes

I hope you have shares of Hindalco equivalent of no. of Lot * 1400 in your holdings.

Hi Vikii,

Since the short trade was not squared off/closed, you will have to deliver stocks (lot size * 1400) on Monday (T+1 settlement).

You can buy the stocks from the open market on Monday, but since the settlement is T+1 for stocks purchased on Monday, which means stocks purchased on Monday will hit your demat account only on Tuesday. So you will not be able to deliver stocks on Monday for the delivery and have short delivered. In this case the exchange will call for auction and settle the trade.

And if the exchange is not able to obtain shares in the auction market, then cash settlement happens at close out price, which can be 20% higher than the closing price on auction day.

2 Likes

Thanks Krishna,247nh.

Well i dont see any share in my account and can see proper balance in account
Does that mean order is executed after market in auction?

Statement says…

2024-01-25 NSE-F&O
1,74,977.99 Dr
Exposure margin blocked for NSE F&O
Balance: 19,49,308.35
2024-01-25 NSE-F&O
2,64,215.00 Dr
Physical delivery margin blocked for long options in NSE

Does that mean margin hold for shares…at what pri e i will get those shares

1 Like

Is there anyway by which we can check settlement price? And it was hindalco share. Will it cost 20%?

No i dont see any shares could be due to holiday not sure how to check price or say auction price it will settled

1 Like

![Screenshot_20240126_085852_Samsung Notes|690x310](upload://qIXW3xhCkoW07u0fjdedlh8VJjf.jpeg

Does this mean i will get share of hindalco at value 562.5???

Thnx

As you held short options on expiry day, margins are blocked which you are seeing in the breakup you shared.

Ref - What is Zerodha's policy on the physical settlement of equity derivatives on expiry?

This depends on the auction price and will be determined on Monday. You will know post that the price at which this is settled. On Monday, if you are not able to deliver stocks, exchange will call for auction and you will know the settlement price by Tuesday. Usually it will not be more than 20% higher than closing price yesterday if exchange is able to obtain stocks. And 20% higher than closing price on auction day for cash settlement.

1 Like

Whay does this sat? I got ahares at 562.5?

So when an option contract is not squared off on expiry day and requires you to deliver stocks, you will get the sell credit for the stocks you are supposed to deliver. In this case you have gotten the credit for delivering Hindalco at 562.50, but this is blocked until you will deliver the stocks on Monday. And once you do the credit will then be withdrawable. Until then the amount is blocked in the ledger.

And if you are unable to deliver stocks, the exchange then obtains it through auction as I explained earlier and adjusts the price accordingly on the contract note on Monday. And any additional amount you might have to pay as shares maybe obtained in the auction for higher price, will also get adjusted against this credit first and then against your ledger balance.

Hope this clarifies.

2 Likes

Sorry for being neive…so you mean i will have buy 2800 shares? And since my amount is blocked i dont have any excess amount to buy this many shares…so it will go for auction?

I dont have any shares of hindalco in account.:frowning:

If you do not have shares in demat. The exchange will buy the shares in auctions market and will ask you to pay up for the additional price they end up paying beyond 562.5.

For example - if the exchange obtains the shares for 565. Then you will end up paying additional amount of 7000 (2800*(565-562.5)). So the additional amount you pay will depend upon the auction price. It could be 20% more than closing price on Thursday. Or can be 20% of the closing price on Monday if cash settlement happens.

1 Like

Thanks a Pai…will it be 20% for shares like hindalco?.is thr any way to check auction data.? Or past days data…just wabt to know aprx loss…

The approx (maximum) price increase might be 20%. But this depends on the auction market, so past data might not be helpful. But as a cap on the loss, you can consider 20% more on the closing price yesterday to estimate. But note that it could be lower than that as well.

1 Like

Any way to reduce loss? Can.iget profit if hindalco goes down from.here

The expiry and settlement for this trade will be on the 29th at 10:30 am. If there is any short delivery, it will be covered in the auction market. The price range for the auction market for Hindalco will be between 680.64 (upper cap) and 453.76 (lower cap), based on the closing price of 567.20 on January 25th.

The seller will select a higher range in the auction market, and the auction price will be decided based on that. Since you have short-delivered, it needs to be covered in the auction market. In cases where securities cannot be purchased from the auction market, the trades will be settled through a ‘closeout.’ The closeout amount will be equivalent to the highest price prevailing in the NSE from the day of trading until the auction day, which is January 29th, or 20% above the official closing price on the auction day, whichever is higher. To minimize the loss, you have until Monday morning to arrange for stocks in your demat. Please reach out to our support team for any further questions.

1 Like

Will issue get resolved if i purchased hindalco 2800 shares on monday?

Answered this here,