Principles For Navigating Big Debt Crises By Ray Dalio

Ray Dalio is the founder of the world’s biggest hedge fund firm, Bridgewater Associates, which manages $160 billion. He is also known for his radical and deep thoughts on all things finance and life.

On the eve of the 10th anniversary of the 2008 global financial crisis, he published Template for Understanding Big Debt Crises.

The hardbound is paid but the PDF is available for free. If you interested in economics, finance and or markets, then you’ll love this.

This sums up what the book is about

Ten years ago this month, the world’s financial system nearly ground to a halt. It was a dramatic and pivotal time, which has had lasting effects on many people’s lives. But it was also something that has happened many times in history and will happen many times in the future. As you know, I believe that everything happens over and over again and that by looking at those things happening many times, one can see the patterns and understand the cause-effect relationships to develop principles for dealing with them. Prior to 2008, I had studied these relationships for debt crises with my colleagues at Bridgewater, and because we understood these relationships, we were able to navigate the crisis well when many others struggled.

Today I am sharing our understanding of how debt crises work and how to navigate them well in a new book called “A Template for Understanding Big Debt Crises.” I am making it available for free because I am now at a stage of life where what’s most important to me is to pass along the principles that have helped me. My hope is that sharing this template will reduce the chances of big debt crises happening and help them be better managed in the future.

If you are interested in learning more about the man himself, then this New Yorker profile, although old is a good starting point

3 Likes