Profit on last day of FY21

Settlement day is T+2 for Intraday equity.

Now if someone make profit on 31st March 2021.

Does that profit report in FY21 or Next Financial Year statements ?

1 Like

FY21 is the current financial year, i.e 1st April 2021 to 31st March 2022, so your question is about FY20.

I am 99% sure that you will need to include your profit while filing for ITR this year, but I am not a lawyer or CA so don’t take my word on it. @Quicko is the resident tax expert.

@ShubhS9 Can you please move this post and the following posts into a separate topic about “FY abbreviation”? I flagged the post but @system hid it.

Kindly refer to this article:

Sir, the profit should not be reported in this year (FY21) according to my knowledge.

As mentioned above, the current financial year (01-04-21 to 31-03-2022) is Financial Year 2021-2022, abbreviated as FY21.

1 Like

A fiscal or financial year is denoted by its ending year, not by starting, so FY21 is Financial Year 2020-21 (Assessment Year 2021-22)

Are you sure? I read this on Wikipedia:

In India, the government’s financial year runs from 1 April to 31 March. It is abbreviated on the basis of the starting year, thus the current financial year 1 April 2020–31 March 2021 is abbreviated as FY20.

Sir, I request you to please provide constructive criticism instead of resorting to ad hominems.

Sorry. Don’t mind… I wasn’t serious. I will share you if I find something.

1 Like

Source: Reserve Bank of India - Press Releases

So, to conclude, yes I am completely sure.

1 Like

Someone should edit Wikipedia to make a correction… personally, I think abbreviating the starting year makes a lot more sense, FY21 starts in April 1 2021 and both AY and FY will start in the same calendar year.

Sorry about going off-topic, perhaps a moderator could split the portions about FY abbreviation into a different topic as I see merit in it.