S&P 500 ETF, Investing in Vangaurd From IND

Can I invest in Vanguard S&P 500 ETF from India through zerodha?

2 Likes

Not yet possible but we’re working on it. You can however check out the Motilal S&P 500 Index fund in the meanwhile

6 Likes

Yes but its expense ratio is too high…

1 Like

@Bhuvan :- any news on this?

I see that vanguard S &P 500 ETF is offered by groww and indmoney. I don’t want to open a new account there and was hoping to buy from zerodha , I am looking very specially for ETF only. Can you tell me when it would be available?

2 Likes

Also customer service is very poor. Without letting me know, they stopped my SIPs automatically and charged a huge amount on my withdrawals.
Didn’t get reply of any email and call.

1 Like

maybe years. for Coin payments automation they took almost 6 months which should be failry straight forward (in comparison to making US markets possible )saying the problem is with banks and payment gateways.

if u need something quick zerodha is not the place. they proudly advertise as they are lean startups but if u need faster feature upgrades it should take on more people and get things moving

1 Like

if there is one thing about zerodha , its that they are pretty straight and upfront. At least for the majority part of it. No shady stuff.

I was going to open account with IND money but read that they charge 20 USD flat and conversion rates are terrible.

Not sure about groww, Also i don’t know about the safety of these.

So I thought if zerodha is able to offer vanguard S & P 500 ETF in coming few weeks better to wait & get here. Atleast we will know the charges and everything.

As far as Motilal S&P 500 Index fund , they have a expense ratio of 0.5% and exit load of 1%. Also SEBI becomes monkey here & there and closes the window for investing overseas which is ridiculous. Not complaining but I am looking for best of the available options to track & invest in the S & P 500 index.

If you have more simpler safer way, please do share them!

1 Like

All the existing options of investing in US stocks in the market have issues, from regulatory uncertainty to costs. In We are trying to get some regulatory clarity before offering this in the most cost-effective way. Typically most of these platform tend have hefty forex conversion charges of 2-3% and other fees, which for smaller ticket sizes makes no sense.

You can invest in Motilal’s S&P 500 fund for now, they’ve re-opned it temporarily

Sorry, but we haven’t offered US investing because of regulatory issues and costs.

1 Like

@Bhuvan Ok so the intial post was created 2 years back. what is the update do u have. costs are always there and investors who are okay with it only will go for it.

There are good options too which are not new-age “fintech” companies that offer US investing like IBKR & ICICI International (I know the backend is still managed by IBKR & Yes I know its not cheap becoz discount broking is not easy to manage in US Conditions). will there ever be a platform from zerodha. I mean it has been 2 years u cant simply say we are still thinking about it

2 Likes

Now that makes a lot of sense. I guess if we see the costs and overhead overall, it’s comparatively less with existing ETF & MF. Is that the reason the expense ratio of these international funds is high due to currency conversion overhead?

1 Like

Expense ratio is like management fee doesnt include forex costs. there are some MFs with low TER. I use Navi Total US market(VTI) its TER is just 0.06%. One of very few funds that are currently accepting US investments

1 Like

which platform are you using? can you give details?

I use Coin by Zerodha. But u should be able to invest from any route. direct unit investments.

but I am looking for specifically S & P 500 only. For navi VTI MF FOF It says here it uses vanguard total stock market ETF.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/etfs/profile/vti

Also expense ratio is not 0.0.6, its 0.06 + 0.03 = 0.09 which is fine. No complaints here!

I did eventually find one way to invest in S &P 500 ETF more safer way after researching. You can have a look.

So vested finance have tie up with US broker drive wealth same as INDmoney. So drive wealth is governed by SEC regulation. So its quite safe. However this youtuber claims there is no fee at all(see 10:55). But someone from IND money said there would be forex charges from same drive wealth! . I am just seeing which is the optimal way with existing options available now in market.

1 Like

I didnt watch the video. I didnt find a good option to invest in S&P500 with current restrictions so went with VTI. But 86% of VTI is S&P500 which I am fine with currently. Once I find a good option to invest directly VOO I will do STP. and the 0.06 & 0.09 is not much big deal for me. considering the alternative.

Hope it helps