SEBI's consultation paper on F&O trading

Everyone trying to find a way around😂

2 Likes

these all SEBI and FM drama - So only again Angel one share BSE share shoot up today

If this is the move. I don’t understand rationale behind different expiry days. Why can’t they have uniform expiry day either on thursday or friday ?

SEBI and exchanges know that having uniform expiry day means most volumes are confined to nifty and bank nifty other index may not see volumes during the expiry day.

Is everything in the circle , all Regulated body taste the TAX money - no one does in want to lose - they want to show up to the media, thats all -

i understand your concerns about civil rights and the potential for stifling opportunity for those with lower starting capital. however my suggestion was aimed at addressing the widespread financial devastation some face due to unregulated access to f&o but not to infringe on anyone’s rights.

the example you provided of someone turning 10K into 10L through careful trading is commendable. but for every success story there are countless others who lose everything often without fully understanding the risks. my point is not to eliminate opportunity but to ensure that those who engage in high risk trading do so responsibly. the intent behind suggesting a minimum income requirement or proof of earnings is to protect those who cannot afford significant losses. financial markets can be ruthless and many people influenced by social media or unrealistic expectations end up in financial ruin (trust me, this is not shown in media/tv or online). the one that they did show recently was -father/son suici*e on railway tracks due to f&o losses. there are countless unlimited stories which is not brought up in public. so it’s about ensuring a safety net for those who might be more vulnerable.

governments around the world impose regulations to protect consumers and maintain market integrity. just as there are requirements for investing in certain mutual funds/aifs (like being a qualified institutional buyer), similar protections could be considered for high-risk segments like f&o. i agree that many who post verified p&l might be doing so for influence or to sell courses. tbh this is all the more reason to consider stronger regulations or safeguards so people are not misled by potentially harmful or deceptive practices.

the goal is not to stifle the growth of traders but to ensure that those entering the market are aware of and prepared for the risks. those with the skills and knowledge to succeed will still thrive under a system that prioritizes responsible trading.

i appreciate your perspective, and i think the conversation about how best to balance opportunity with protection is important. maybe perhaps the solution lies somewhere between regulation and education ensuring that people are both free to pursue their financial goals and protected from undue risk.

2 Likes

just because few dumb people do this dosent mean everyone should suffer. This is equivalent to banning cars, few people crash so you ban cars for everyone. This is like banning prostitution just because few people cheat on their wives you ban prostitution making millions of single people out there frustrated.

5 Likes

so basically no more weekly expiry of banknifty or any other things then. idk what to say. Uniform expiry days i get it, disabling weekly expiry all together what is this logic. Hope all brokerages etc will talk to sebi and have a rational level headed discussion.

This comment started out fine and then took a completely different turn. :sweat_smile::rofl:

10 Likes

Not all go to brothels. Some remove their frustration here on tqna :joy:

10 Likes

Bro looks like he is having some fun with hookers😂

How would this impact the margins?
My understanding is that ELM is calculated on notional Value,
Currently to sell 1 Lot NIFTY Option around 80k margin is required… If ELM has been increased by 8% then 0.08 x 25000(NIFTY) x 25(Current Lot size) = 50k which is 62.5% of Required margin

So, the margins on expiry day will be increased by 62.5%?
and what if its an ironfly? would the ELM increase for both the sell legs(Call & Put)?

What filters? @nithin

These views give me some relief :slightly_smiling_face:

It gives me confidence that my gambling addiction can be satisfied :upside_down_face:

The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) is planning to curb speculation in the Futures and Options (F&O) segments. If SEBI is genuinely serious about addressing speculation, it should recognize that such activities also occur in the Cash Market segment. One effective measure would be to mandate that all F&O trades be settled on the expiry day and prohibit the squaring off of positions before the expiry day. Imposing restrictions solely on retail investors, while seemingly favoring high-net-worth individuals (HNIs) and large institutional players, could be seen as discriminatory. These actions risk drying up market liquidity and destabilizing the Indian stock market.

A balanced solution would be to implement differentiated margin percentages based on the turnover of short selling activities. For instance, setting the margin percentage at 0% for daily turnovers below ₹1 crore, and at 40% for turnovers exceeding ₹1 crore, would be a fair approach. Additionally, adjusting the Securities Transaction Tax (STT) to 0% for turnovers below ₹1 crore and increasing it fourfold for turnovers above ₹1 crore could further balance the market dynamics.

In essence, SEBI should refrain from making sweeping changes that impact small investors and those with turnovers below ₹1 crore.

1 Like

Product suitability assessment should’ve been the right move, maybe even a mandatory exam and a month of virtual trading session before being allowed to trade F&O.

IMHO all this is too much incorrect regulation, the worst sort for the stated goal of protecting the small guy by allowing him not to participate at all. Look everyone how to protect the small guy so he can always remain small. :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

In essense, my capital is less than 1cr. Let me trade, punish everyone else.

wtf … No one will take the opposing position for hedgers. Market makers gone. I guess you dont trade and so come up with inane solutions. Or is this sarcasm ?

Anyway, looking at your capability to write large prose, not interested in further talks …

just pointing this out once again. today world indices down upto 14% but look at ours, so are we most volatile market that our gov keeps lying?
and imagine all the Retail and MF portpolios without hedge, we will be bleeding hard now aswel as everyone will try to get out. thats what our gov trying hard to acheive with their new policies and kicking traders out of stockmarket.

2 Likes

Your guess is right, darling

I want is margin going to increase even for stock fno?